Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New crown on my .22rimfire?

How many years have rifle manufacturers been producing recessed crowns and why?

No brainer really.

Glad you've sorted the problem to your satisfaction and c/o a little blue sky thinking.

K

I am particularly interested in this thread. Both myself and my son have Annies in .22lr and of late have been having big consistency issues with current batches of Eley subs. Old stock shoots well current stuff is awful.

I will have a close look at the chambers of both. Also agree the recessed crown is a pain to clean. A thought if you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner you could put the end of the barrel in a jar of cleaning fluid and ultra sonic clean.

I wonder if a .22 p/b brush would suffice in chamber cleaning?

D

Quote Originally Posted by Cyres View Post
    I am particularly interested in this thread. Both myself and my son have Annies in .22lr and of late have been having big consistency issues with current batches of Eley subs. Old stock shoots well current stuff is awful.

I will have a close look at the chambers of both. Also agree the recessed crown is a pain to clean. A thought if you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner you could put the end of the barrel in a jar of cleaning fluid and ultra sonic clean.

I wonder if a .22 p/b brush would suffice in chamber cleaning?

D
    If you think about what the crown is, what it is made of and what it is trying to achieve, I think K's suggestion of a pencil and the use of solvent or carbon cleaner on the pencil and then insert, some pressure and spin it right round baby, spin it right round ha ha, is a pretty good idea. I can say that it did not sort my issues but that is because it obs was not the crown. It however clearly did not harm and did get rid of the crud and let me see the metal of the crown rather than the crud built up on it.

Chamber wise, I don't know if your issue is a chamber ring and if so, how bad it is. For me personally, bronze brush did not work being short stroked in the chamber area with solvents. It was medium speed spinning of a very soft wire wool wrapped nylon brush that basically polished mine away. Maybe continually attacking it with the BB would have worked but it was taking far too long and I truly believe wire wool is a very gentle item but hugely effectively at gentle polishing as an almost mild abrasive. I clean my windscreens with them (watermarks) aluminium cooker tops, all types of things. I have a massive roll of the stuff and use it on all sorts. Yet to damage anything and with a barrel being steel, I doubted I could do much harm.

I didn't take a before picture but this is the after picture of my chamber that now produces brilliant accuracy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	.22LR Chamber.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	85677

Quote Originally Posted by Cottis View Post
    If you think about what the crown is, what it is made of and what it is trying to achieve, I think K's suggestion of a pencil and the use of solvent or carbon cleaner on the pencil and then insert, some pressure and spin it right round baby, spin it right round ha ha, is a pretty good idea. I can say that it did not sort my issues but that is because it obs was not the crown. It however clearly did not harm and did get rid of the crud and let me see the metal of the crown rather than the crud built up on it.

Chamber wise, I don't know if your issue is a chamber ring and if so, how bad it is. For me personally, bronze brush did not work being short stroked in the chamber area with solvents. It was medium speed spinning of a very soft wire wool wrapped nylon brush that basically polished mine away. Maybe continually attacking it with the BB would have worked but it was taking far too long and I truly believe wire wool is a very gentle item but hugely effectively at gentle polishing as an almost mild abrasive. I clean my windscreens with them (watermarks) aluminium cooker tops, all types of things. I have a massive roll of the stuff and use it on all sorts. Yet to damage anything and with a barrel being steel, I doubted I could do much harm.

I didn't take a before picture but this is the after picture of my chamber that now produces brilliant accuracy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	.22LR Chamber.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	85677
    You did damn well to get that shot. Rifling looks very crisp too!

K

I would by lying if i said i got that shot first time. Or second time or even twentieth time.