Rifle Stock Revamp

SeanStalk

I was lucky enough to obtain a .243 rifle that had been rubber dipped to waterproof the wooden stock at a very reasonable price in January from a very kind Keeper. Cut a long story short the rubber coating had started to lift and rub off where it had been rubbing on my shoulder whilst out stalking.

So sitting bored at home at home I decided to remove the rubber and give the stock a check over and some maintenance this been the first gun stock I've ever done any work on I was very apprehensive but over the moon with the final result :)

Plenty of light sanding with 400gr sandpaper and 0000 wire wool between 5 coats of Teak Oil it's come out amazing, well I'm happy anyway :D:D

The first two photos show the stripping of the coating while enjoying the sun and a cold one or two ;)

.IMG_1752.JPG IMG_1753.JPGIMG_1760.JPGIMG_1761.JPGIMG_1762.JPG

Wiped it over lightly with white spirit, then masked it up while I sanded & oiled rest of Gun, removed the masking tape before last coat of oil and lightly oiled it part thinned with white spirit with kids paint brush to get into all the checkering
Really nice job. Well done.

What did you do to the chequering?

Back