first of this years season

stone

it was a last minute decision as i finished my tea on sat night,
when i looked at the time and thought if i hurry i will hav time for a quick look around , so armed with my brno 30-06, i took off up this hedgerow ,first deer to see was a roe doe, then further up the field another doe with a couple of last years young a few yards on from her was another doe a bit more obliging that the others
P1010875.jpg

onward i went only to bump into another small group of does (pictures did not come out) but still no buck , onward i went, still only 400 yards into the stalk when a bunch of fallow appeared , never on this paticular piece of ground hav i shot a fallow and still haven't nice to see but still can't get camera to work properly then i saw it my first buck , he also saw me ran thiry yards and stopped on the skyline for a moment or too then turned tail and gone, light now starting to go headed back to the car
to my surprise in the very first field i walked up about 100 yards from the car was 2 does then a third appeared this was a bit bigger with a thicker body and neck , yes i though a buck gently nearing the hedge i positioned my sticks and placed the cross hairs on his neck slipped the safety catch and squeezed the trigger, big puff of hair and watched him drop with in seconds all hell broke loose with about 5 more roe does running in every direction wondering what happened ?
the answer was this
P1010883.jpg

my first roe buck of the season
camera now back on track after a little fiddling about with the buttons

bobt said:
Can you make the pics a bit smaller :lol:

I hate scrolling side to side to read a post.
i agree with you here bobt
just don't know how to :oops: help needed
sorry

Well done Stone, a very nice buck! :D Did you shoot it on the same patch as you took me for the doe? If so its good news about the Fallow.

tika.308 said:
well done stone a cracking buck mate.
hi tika
steyr243 should remeber this one , as it stood for him when you were last down then it was in velvet

yes mrB it was left hand side of the bean field , the fallow were along the same hedge where you shot that doe, at the bottom of the hedge where those five roe were lay up, the best news is that roe buck in that bunch is now out of velvet with your name tag on his antler

nice one smithy,
pics a little small but still a nice buck
is this one of your own ground ?

Hi Stone,
Pic a bit small off phone I had to cut and past into another programme.
Yes, first of the year off my ground, a little late getting started but been waiting for them to clean up and assessing numbers with the ground being new.
Plenty of does and yearlings but the bucks have been a little harder to catch up with.
This was a nice start come across him a mumber of times and he needed to come out with a couple of realy nice bucks in the same area one older and one younger I think anyway!.
Its simular on other parts of the ground seeing them one day and next then disappearing for a week or so and tuning up miles away. there appears to be a lot of moving in and out by the bucks which keeps me on my toes. but there leaving there marks all over.

regards

Smithy

Hi Stone,
Pic a bit small off phone I had to cut and past into another programme.
Yes, first of the year off my ground, a little late getting started but been waiting for them to clean up and assessing numbers with the ground being new.
Plenty of does and yearlings but the bucks have been a little harder to catch up with.
This was a nice start come across him a mumber of times and he needed to come out with a couple of realy nice bucks in the same area one older and one younger I think anyway!.
Its simular on other parts of the ground seeing them one day and next then disappearing for a week or so and tuning up miles away. there appears to be a lot of moving in and out by the bucks which keeps me on my toes. but there leaving there marks all over.

regards

Smithy

good news smithy
sounds like you hav your hands full, keep putting the leg work in and reap the rewards
oh and buy a decent camera to leave in the motor looks as if it will get a bit of use :lol:
ATB
stone

Smithy will be okay, Stone don't you worry! He has kindly offered me some Roe buck stalking this summer so there will be plenty of pictures! :D We have just got to make sure that he makes it to the CLA this year as he is a very interesting and genuine chap even though he doesn't post enough! :lol:

Its very good to see you back on the site Smithy. ;)

Thanks Stone,Steve
I had a good camera once then Charlotte my oldest got her hands on it,
I then bought one for her birthday that we can borrow, which is never by the way, but you are right I should get one and keep it in the motor.
Plenty of leg work going in don’t you worry and I suppose my hands are full but It doesn’t feel that way at all, and the best bit it is never how you think its going to be so open mind and let things unfold.
Kind words Steve and thank, and your right I should post more, but I find by the time I have read new posts on the site time is against me and being slightly dyslexic I shy away a little.
I will be coming down to the CLA Thursday for Friday and Saturday then travelling back Sunday.
Not sure whether we are camping or stopping in a B&B, what are the plans for meeting up!! Has anybody started to think how we are going to meet I’m really looking forward to putting faces to names.

Smithy

Hi Smithy,
I shouldn't worry about being 'dyslexic' mate. I have a eating disorder too! :eek: :lol: My spelling is really bad, thankfully my wife can spell and corrects my mistakes. :oops: Its been scientifically proven that dyslexic men are better in bed and last longer. Sow thaatts ulrite theen init! ;)

As for the CLA I think it will just be a case of meeting up outside Sikamalc's caravan. You can't miss it, its painted in zebra stripes and he has two young semi naked 'African bush bitches' fanning him with Ostrich feathers whilst he reclines on his tiger skin chaise longue smoking his cherut and sipping on a chota peg. :lol:

Stone
Nice buck mate :D he looks familiar ;) A month later & it would of been me taking him home :D
Well done 8)

Back