Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teckel Temperament

Teckel Temperament

Hi Folks,
    Hope you can help. Thinking of buying a teckel as a pet and wondered if those of you who own them could give some info on temperament.
    I currently have a standard smooth dachshund, he's 8 months old and coming on nicely. Sit, stay and leave have been a doddle, recall a little iffy but nowhere near as difficult as I imagined (and for a show bred dog his nose is as good as my old working lab).He can be aloof, especially towards strangers but to family members he's very happy and eager to please.

All things being equal we'd probably get another standard smooth dachshund but......... I am nervous about his physical robustness and we've been quite lucky in that he's quite leggy, the next could easily be a deep chested/short legged variety. Hence an European origin Teckel should be more robust.

I do love his character, I've had to adapt my normal training style to suit as he could be easily broken.

So any info on their character,nature and suitability as a country companion much appreciated .BTW I have had lurchers, labs terriers in the past, indeed this is the first 'pet' I've owned, so I do have some experience with working dogs.

Our 8 month dachshund

Last edited by KeithE; 31-08-2010 at 12:44.

"Thinking of buying a teckel as a pet "

Don't. They are not pets and need an outlet for their natural desire.

I am on my first teckel - so have limited knowledge but observations thus far:

They can move bloody fast through undergrowth when they want to.
    They are completely deaf to you or anything else if they find something worth smelling or tracking.
    They will come back unless there is something more interesting going on elsewhere.
    They are noisy - so if a cat farts the other side of the village at 2am it sounds like a pack of foxhounds is kicking off.

They think they are a big dog - i have a GWP, Springer and a few lurchers - within 3 days of moving in our pup thought she was in charge of all of them.
    They are feisty.

I think they are great.

agree with above post but on the other side of the coin our teckel is more of a pet than a worker
    quite timid from the off allthough a bit harder now brilliant house dog and the most loyal you would
    want to meet jmho regards pete .

Thanks for replies guys, please keep em coming.

Hi Keith
    Go for a teckel!! We have a dog getting on to 8 yrs old and he is a perfect gentleman. Live out in the kennel as he is a working and dam good at it, once on a blood trail it can be can be tricky to get him off but he will return to the whistle, will always return readly once he has found the beast. When the grand kids come I am quite happy for him to play with them once he gets used to them being there. Got to watch the Missus or he will be in the house in a flash as she thinks he is really cute. He is a great loyal working dog to both of us and I could not see myself stalking with out him - so go for it mate. Ian C

Sorry if this is not quite the right thread.
    I have owned/trained 2 springers and 1 cocker for roughshooting and beating, hopefully in about 8 weeks or so I should take delivery of a dog teckel pup.
    Should I bring him on as if he was a shooting dog or just blood line scent train him and keep at heel, obviously in very small doses for the first few months.
    Thanks in advance.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Christie View Post
    Hi Keith
    Go for a teckel!! We have a dog getting on to 8 yrs old and he is a perfect gentleman. Live out in the kennel as he is a working and dam good at it, once on a blood trail it can be can be tricky to get him off but he will return to the whistle, will always return readly once he has found the beast. When the grand kids come I am quite happy for him to play with them once he gets used to them being there. Got to watch the Missus or he will be in the house in a flash as she thinks he is really cute. He is a great loyal working dog to both of us and I could not see myself stalking with out him - so go for it mate. Ian C
    Ian,
    Thanks for info, regarding calling off sent, this is obviously an issue once you've trained/encouraged to follow it, as I've seen with all my other working dogs. My training - as a pet - will be the opposite as it has been for our standard dachs, whenever I notice him following a scent trail or indeed live animal I give him a stern growl, recall then reward on the recall.

Yesterday he 'pointed' a hedge from which a beuatiful young roe buck leaped out, only a few metres from us. The stern growl stopped a chase and I was chuffed.

A lot of people are quite negative about 'pet' owners but I am thoroughly enjoying bringing this dog on and we are having bags of fun wandering the woods and fields.

Quote Originally Posted by martinl View Post
    Sorry if this is not quite the right thread.
    I have owned/trained 2 springers and 1 cocker for roughshooting and beating, hopefully in about 8 weeks or so I should take delivery of a dog teckel pup.
    Should I bring him on as if he was a shooting dog or just blood line scent train him and keep at heel, obviously in very small doses for the first few months.
    Thanks in advance.

Martin
    Martini,
    Start ya own bl**dy thread mate........only joking, I am sure you'll get some good advice.....IMHO single activity is always easier than multiple, like the labs that only pick up and never flush.....but then who want's a perfect dog hey??.

Quote Originally Posted by BenB View Post
    "Thinking of buying a teckel as a pet "

Don't. They are not pets and need an outlet for their natural desire.

I am on my first teckel - so have limited knowledge but observations thus far:

They can move bloody fast through undergrowth when they want to.
    They are completely deaf to you or anything else if they find something worth smelling or tracking.
    They will come back unless there is something more interesting going on elsewhere.
    They are noisy - so if a cat farts the other side of the village at 2am it sounds like a pack of foxhounds is kicking off.

They think they are a big dog - i have a GWP, Springer and a few lurchers - within 3 days of moving in our pup thought she was in charge of all of them.
    They are feisty.

I think they are great.
    I am on my second Teckel first one lasted 16 years this one is only a couple of years old and came via Jagare from Sweden in exchange for a working cocker.

I totally agree with all of the above they are Fur covered crocodiles with attitude, but and its a big but. They are supreme at tracking and I dont want to start a fight but they will track the a**e off anything with its nose mounted too far off the ground. There I have said it, and i am not taking it back, if you have lost it your Teck will find it, gete one it will change your life.

Kids develope respect for animals, you never see a cat in your garden, you dont need a radio in your car if you drive past any livestock, the postman never walks on your grass and you never lose a deer, what else could you ask for?

Quote Originally Posted by doghound View Post
    .........................what else could you ask for?
    Retaining all the fingers on your hands?