Two calibres, one rifle?

Suppose you have two calibres on your ticket, .243 and .308.
Would you go for interchangeable barrels such as a Mauser or Blaser?

or,

two rifles, say two Tikka's, or one Sako one Tikka? And why?
Cheers,
Rob

I wanted a blaser as i liked the idea of having one rifle, one scope and two barrels but in the end the cost put me off. In the end i got a tikka t3 stainless synthetic with wild cat mod and s&b 8x56 for less than i could have got a blaser synthetic R93. I was also told and i am not sure that this is true that it woudl cost about £300 for mounts and rings for the blaser as you can only use their own. Then its about £700 for a new barrel so lets do some maths. Blaser R93 'off road' in L/H (for me) at about £2100 then a S&B 8x56 second hand at £350 then a new barrel for £700 and a mod at about £250-300 and some mounts and rings at £300 totalling lets say £3700. Now you can buy a new tikka t3 s/s in l/h for £850 plus £100 for mounts and rings plus £350 for the scope plus £250 for the mod and you are at £ 1550 so double that for two set ups and you are at £3100 so it works out a lot cheaper two buy two new set ups so if you uses the extra £600 save you could get two £650 scopes say second hand swarovski scopes for Mcleods for that sort of cash and have 2 superior set ups and as for how a T3 shoots i shoot this group the other day:

DSC04233.jpg

Just my two pence worth.

But, with all that said and done i aspire to a nice wooden stocked blaser as we all like nice things ;)

George

A Blaser with two barrels is not a cheap way to two rifles. Scope mounts are £350, barrels are £675. A basic two barrel set up with two scope's in their own mounts bought new will run around £3K plus the scopes. However, the Blaser is just excellent, I am a convert in a big way.

You can buy two Tikka's or Howa's with mounts for about half of that.

Last edited:
I have the new Styer Luxus with separate barrels, .243 and 30-06
I looked at several others and the prices were horrendouse.
With the Styer the mounts are picattiny fixed to the barrel, the bolt is the same for all calibres with the same head, the magazine is the same for dozens of different calibres and the barrels are cheaper than most others.
I have QD mounts on my 3-12x50 scope so can swap back and forth between calibres when stalking and QD mounts on my 1.2-4x24 for use on the 30-06 when used for driven shooting.
The whole caboodle fits nicely into a 'breakdown' shotgun case for ease of transportation when travelling.

It's a tough one. I'm gonna have to take a closer look at the Blaser.
Saying that though, the Tikka is a hell of a rifle for the money. Good shooting.

I have a buddy that shoots Savage bolt guns for the ability to change barrels. It is not a push-button operation but he can go from .223 to 6.5x55 in less than 15 minutes... which includes the magazine change. I believe he has about 7 different barrels for two actions. If legal, multi caliber is a neat option.~Muir

You can change barrels on a Mauser in a couple of minutes change scopes in seconds or fit a scope with a ballistic turret to change the point of impact at a preset range, so the same scope can be used on different cals.
With the Mauser you also get safety that retracts the pin and is impossible to accidently knock off its a 100% safe.
FLo's like them too !

DSC01622.jpg

.243 and .308

totally

accurate
reliable
safe
interchangeable
repeatable
bulletproof

just get one blaser and add to it later. dont mention tikka and blaser in the same thread again please, they just dont compare.

(wayne - your old .308 just got a bit of wood!)

I might just be a bit of a cautious tart but i would probably prefer to have 2 rifles.

Based on the idea that if there is something wrong with the action / stock on a switch barrel then you are stuffed, but with a seperate rifle then you just take the other out.

Might be worth getting 2 very similar rifles for continuity though.

I have a Tikka M595 and have just found a 695 to completment it, hopefully in september.

I suppose it depends on your outlook but i would prefer 2 rifles rather than 2 barrels and one 'rifle'

Dan

edit. If someone wants to give me a Blaser with 6.5x55 and 30-06 barrels i will happily report on the switch barrel versatility!

Last edited:
Two calibres one rifle - how about one calibre one rifle?
I've mentioned it before on this site but if you're torn between .243 and .308, quite frankly both will do perfectly well for all deer species in the UK, then consider 7mm-08. 7mm-08 comes somewhere between both with better ballistics of either but additionally if you ever have the opportunity for wild boar it will take care of them perfectly adequately as well.
Not sure why you want two workable calibres in one rifle?
Two rifles for two different requirements sounds a better idea, perhaps one long range rifle and one light carry rifle both of which could cover for each other - just a thought or something like it.

I like this idea about two calibers: One scope. One trigger. One stock.

You can have a .22-250 for varmints and a 308 for deer. Always with the cozy comfort of your favorite stock, cuddling your favorite trigger, and guided by your favorite scope. ~Muir

I have a Sauer Elegance 202 with 6.5x55 and 30-06 barrels. It is certainly not the cheapest way of doing things, when you add in the cost of the extra barrel, another set of Apel 30mm swing off rings and a new SB 8x56 scope. Not sure about other makes, but with Sauer the price can be kept down to a degree by sticking to calibres which can use the same bolt and magazine.

I can change the barrels over in about 3 - 4 minutes, its that simple and the scope swap is a 20 second job. Both barrels have the same thread, so only one moderator needed.

It is certainly a nice option to use the same rifle all the time.

I have an RWS Titan in 22-250 which is also a switch barrel rifle and uses a similar barrel removal system as Sauer, but not so the stock removal. I do not have a another barrel for it, but I have seen them advertised for a few hundred quid second hand, so this is certainly a more cost effective way of going down this route.

ATB

T

I have a RWS titan 6 in 243. was looking at getting a titan 6 barrel in 6.5x55 the cost of the barrel is £295.00 for a blued one threaded and i want a stainless barrel and i have now been looking at a all round stock with stainless barrel threaded for around £875.00 I already have scope and mounts to fit

Don't buy a Blaser it's a drug:love:. Once you've got one you want more, i've got three plus five more barrels and still looking for more. I would try one first tho you might not get on with it but if you do you won't regret it.

Last edited:
Hiya
I have a Savage model 10 in .243 with a 22.250 barrel.I can swap them over in about 15 minutes or so which is convenient but the colimator I bought is useless so it needs zeroing whenever I change them.

prometheus
You can change barrels on a Mauser in a couple of minutes change scopes in seconds or fit a scope with a ballistic turret to change the point of impact at a preset range, so the same scope can be used on different cals.
With the Mauser you also get safety that retracts the pin and is impossible to accidently knock off its a 100% safe.
FLo's like them too !​
I don't know what this means though.
MARK

I shot a Finnlight the other day and it was sweet as a nut. As a first rifle I am drawn to this in .308
Argument being .308 has plenty of whack and will do me for edibles in U.K. and abroad.
Like the Blaser and Mauser, probably not for the novice though.

Back