Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a side by side side lock for 800 to 1000

Recommend me a side by side side lock for 800 to 1000

As above. I've got my eye on an AYA no2, but what else should I be looking at?

Cheers
    Col

SD Regular
    Altering a gun to fir you will usually be more expensive and more costly than, say, altering the choke so I'd first decide what stock measurements that best suit and then look at the guns. It is a little known gun that AYA made but their Countryman was a true sidelock albeit with a five pin instead of a nine pin lock. But what the Countryman usually had was, as standard, a longer stock than on many of the AYA No2 guns.

It is well worth taking a trip down the A1 to East Anglia to ask Holt's if you can examine their AYA guns in their present "Online Sale of Unsold Lots". This is because you can handle and in effect buy there and then subject to them allowing you to their premises and necessary SGC authority. Look at Holt's and then find the link on the scrolling banner to the Online Sale. They also have a gunsmith on the premises who might, perhaps, do choke whilst you wait.

Look in the Online Sale under Sidelock Ejector. But I also would not discount a good boxlock and at well under UKP 1000 you have FOUR AYA No2 in the current online sale.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 16-07-2017 at 20:11.

I know of a very clean AYA #2 26", detachable sidelocks, case hardened, 1/4 & 1/2 choked ?

Thanks Enfield, that's really useful.

Cheers Malxwal, let me know the details.

If ypu are gong to the CLA Gamefair, there will be lots about to handle and discuss - also even if you are not, Ring Francis Lovell in Witney. He also owns Aitken Grant and Lang and has the best collection I have seen from 300 or less up to as much as you want to spend. The advice is generally free though. Gun fit is everything though - You'll hit more with a gun that fits you and costs 200 than one that doesn't for 20k.

If on Facebook
    AYS owners page
    I have a no2 love it

Paul

Aya are good, Arrietta are good, Grulla is probably the premium Spanish gun maker the 216 round body is nice especially I 30" format and raised flat filed rib

Don't look at anything else. Look at my No 2. 28 inch barrels choked 1/2 and 1/2 - I bought it with full chokes so that I could get it altered - in a case in Bushwear in Perth. Buy it now and I'll throw in a shooting lesson. The gun, incidentally, does shoot straight, as much work on the pattern plate proves.

The advice of enfieldspares above is sound, but having handled all the AYA sidelocks in the current unsold lots today, I strongly advise you to not touch them. Tired, neglected or a combination of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by 20-250 View Post
    The advice of enfieldspares above is sound, but having handled all the AYA sidelocks in the current unsold lots today, I strongly advise you to not touch them. Tired, neglected or a combination of the two.
    Thats great thanks. You've saved me a significant trip.