Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brno/CZ or Parker Hale

Brno/CZ or Parker Hale

I'm considering buying a second rifle for 300-500, and have narrowed the choice down to the above. Had a look at a new CZ550 Lux at the Game Fair, which looked good value at (I think) less than 600, but have never had the chance to use one. There are also a couple of PH's on Guntrader described as "sleepers", which are around the 300 mark, plus a few Brno 600's for similar money. Any comments would be appreciated.

There's a guy called Chris who advertises under the name C&Shoot in Guntrader. He's in Kent and has a thing for Parker Hales and BSAs. Look him up and he'll find you a very good one for little money. Tell him Marc in Scotland recommended him to you and he'll likely wave the postage fee or thread it for a mod for you.

Just be a bit careful of the "sleepers" they can be a bit like 1 careful lady owner . I'm sure there are some genuine good uns to be had my old PH was a sleeper ....apparently , railway sleeper more like ,the action was ok as was the bore , but they had messed around trying to free float the barrel using a hand held shark by the look of the woodwork ,and then attempted to bed the action when that didn't work .
    Have a look at it if you are not familiar with the dealer , there are lots around . My money would go on the cz. Brough.

Just edited to say Kev(Brithunter) Helped me enormously with a mine of info regarding the PH.
    If you need to know anything regarding these rifles then he's your man. Brough
    Last edited by Brough; 07-08-2010 at 15:45. Reason: extra info

+1 for the CZ550 (in .243). My first rifle, had from new and still using it 10 years later.

Hi Rupert
    What calibre are you looking at
    Geordie

Thanks for your replies. I'm not too set on any one calibre, but would prefer either a 6.5x55 or 7x57, or possibly a .308.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonraker68 View Post
    Thanks for your replies. I'm not too set on any one calibre, but would prefer either a 6.5x55 or 7x57, or possibly a .308.
    good taste on the first two, and the rifle... It really depresses me the way mauser actions and their clones are out of fashion now, I think they have so much more appeal than all the fancy push feeds.

BTW, how would you tell the difference between an FN actioned PH and a Santa Barbara one? And does that Chris in Kent ever have CRF BSAs coming through?
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." -- Rudyard Kipling

PH and spend the rest on glass .

I agree - PH and the rest on a good scope.
    I've got 2 for sale

i have a couple of cz 601s. they have been very good, never let me down and accounted for lots of deer and fox. Remember that if you get one you need to factor in screw cutting which can add a bit to price. Both mine came s/h with mounts that reduces costs a bit. never used ph so cant comment on these.