Best Carbon Cleaner?

mrhim

Hey Folks,

I'm sure its been asked before, But what is the best Carbon remover on the market. I have a heavy build up in both my rim and centre fire rifles in areas hard to reach.

What is the best fluid out there?

Cheers.

I quite like 009, seems to get things pretty pristine and removes lead, copper and plastic marks too. I use it on all the club target rifles and in my hunting rifle.

The stuff smells crazy strong if you're using it in a non ventilated place (like nail polish remover x1000) though so just make sure you open a window if you dont want to end up high as a kite!

I find the Bore Tech range to be excellent. Clean very well, the patched come out coloured when any copper is present and you don't need a fouling shot afterwards.

To contribute meaningfully..... I previously used 009, and as mentioned, a powerful odour. After recommendation by friends, I have purchased and started using Forrest Bore Foam, which seems to do a very good job with less mess/smell.

Are you talking about carbon rings in chamber? If so, many solvents will struggle in my experience.

Soaking in kroil (if you can get it) is good but dont go soaking with ammonia based solvents. Im currently polishing a rimfire chamber and its bloody hard work having found a monster of a carbon ring. Previous owner deserves a bullet for such negligence hahaha

I found jb bore paste. KG1 and boretech c4 cleaners are good for powder but for baked on carbon only borepaste gets it off.

Basically I've been a bit slack in my gun cleaning routine and there are some nooks and crannies that carbon have built up in. I need sometimes to put down before I go crazy with the wire brush..

Are you talking about carbon rings in chamber? If so, many solvents will struggle in my experience.

Soaking in kroil (if you can get it) is good but dont go soaking with ammonia based solvents. Im currently polishing a rimfire chamber and its bloody hard work having found a monster of a carbon ring. Previous owner deserves a bullet for such negligence hahaha

I was told 009 had its formulation changed due to various legislation, minimising harmful chemicals etc.
KG1 seems ok though.

Back