FOD boar killing in enclosure?

Well I think they've got that wrong. Captured / domestic wild boar are one of the animals that you should kill penned up in a group because, despite the fact that they see their herd mates dropping dead, it actually causes far less stress than separating them from their mates and penning them individually.
I believe that the Humane Slaughter Association recommends shooting them in group pens using a free bullet, not the usual slaughter methods used for pigs.

I remember watching this a while ago and thinking it would work well somewhere like the FOD, assuming it didn't get vandalised/sabotaged.

Lots of work and research has gone into the content of that video,its a great idea for the big populations of pigs in TX and OZ

Come on guys back to my OP your getting distracted by the yanks and their toys! The enclosure would be one into which the boar are driven so I imagine is quite extensive though I expect the boar could be concentrated to a certain extent. The killing in front of each other thing sounds like total BS to me, can they not be shot out of a group in the wild in case one sees the other dead?

Come on guys back to my OP your getting distracted by the yanks and their toys! The enclosure would be one into which the boar are driven so I imagine is quite extensive though I expect the boar could be concentrated to a certain extent. The killing in front of each other thing sounds like total BS to me, can they not be shot out of a group in the wild in case one sees the other dead?

I don't see how its feasible to drive boar into an enclosure so you can cull them. Think of the set up and man power it would take. Trapping makes more sense. Trap them and kill every one you trap. The bit about France has no relevance to the problems of shooting boar in an enclosure.

I don't see how its feasible to drive boar into an enclosure so you can cull them. Think of the set up and man power it would take. Trapping makes more sense. Trap them and kill every one you trap. The bit about France has no relevance to the problems of shooting boar in an enclosure.

I know someone who puts a feeder in the middle of a trap, capable of holding 30+ boar. Apart from putting the trap up, the boar do the rest of the work themselves.

I know someone who puts a feeder in the middle of a trap, capable of holding 30+ boar. Apart from putting the trap up, the boar do the rest of the work themselves.

I suppose they mean trap when they talk about penned boar. Here they have no problem shooting boar in a trap. All boar traps must be approved and visited every day. Here's just one make of trap vildsvinsfn Panthera. Its typical England to fanny around instead of just getting on with the job.

See jaegerpro on yt, they've made a bit of a science of it, but stateside there are no qualms, and here I don't believe there's any legislation in place as yet for the species?

It sounds like the 'powers' that control the rangers want them just to give the boar a "stern talking to", before releasing them on their way....

Last edited:

I'd hardly call it a toy. You can trap a sounder all in one go from the comfort of your armchair or pub nearby and then go and dispatch them in 10 mins. Vs loads of people and dog to drive them into a large pen then spend ages chasing them around tying to kill them. Your way sounds more fun but it's a job to reduce the kind of numbers they need to achieve not a hobby or sport.

Set up a stoutly fenced area with food inside. Leave the gates open until your intended target animals are inside, then close the gates. No 'driving' involved.

I'd hardly call it a toy. You can trap a sounder all in one go from the comfort of your armchair or pub nearby and then go and dispatch them in 10 mins. Vs loads of people and dog to drive them into a large pen then spend ages chasing them around tying to kill them. Your way sounds more fun but it's a job to reduce the kind of numbers they need to achieve not a hobby or sport.

I only said that tongue in cheek ;) I don't think the FC have any intension of using this sort of trap. They have the manpower to biuld and drive into a corral of some sort. Trouble is the antis would wreck what ever they decided biuld anyway.

Their reason for not being able to use this strategy is that as they are enclosed they are not allowed to kill boar in front of others

Pigs aside, killing beast in front of others doesn't seem to trouble halal slaughterhouses.

Whoever came up with the idea that the pig is shocked by seeing another shot in front of it needs some shock treatment!

The amount of pigs trapped and shot in front of each other every year (in Aus) runs into the tens of thousands,perhaps when meat prices are good for the export market it maybe 100`s of thousands.

The pigs keep on coming though.

I only said that tongue in cheek ;) I don't think the FC have any intension of using this sort of trap. They have the manpower to biuld and drive into a corral of some sort. Trouble is the antis would wreck what ever they decided biuld anyway.

I think the problem is the antis as they would damage any traps they found. This method is the most cost effective and uses less man hours than driving them into large pens plus is mobile to hit different areas quickly. All the while they are shooting one or two at a time theyr e flying under the radar but as soon as they shoot a whole group that's confined in a trap it'll be described as slaughter and what (little) public support they had will soon vanish.

Back