New puppy arriving...which food and training classes?

I have spoken to the breeder and he is feeding Royal Canin which is good in one respect as it is available here. He says he is just bringing the pup of the puppy stuff to adult or junior at the mo. I will continue on this and work out what to do next in the coming weeks.

They need a balanced diet of the right mix of raw meat, raw bones and raw offal. They are carnivores. This is true as soon as they are weaned off milk. There isn't an inbetween stage when they should eat human food.

halle-phucking-lujah!

Dogs might have been tamed into soft parlour specimens but their guts haven't changed from a wolf`s guts no matter what size,shape or breed
I swear some of you blokes would faint if you saw what my dogs eat..with relish i must add.

If I`m killing wild pigs they eat pork
if I`m killing deer they eat venison
rabbit,roo meat,chicken meat,goat meat,sheep meat,beef they dont give a ratz arse wtf it is as long as it fills their guts.Whip the liver out of a deer and see a dog wolf it down on the spot (get it? WOLF it down)
The last liver I shared,mine was cooked their half was raw.
They swing off a boned out frame of any species,and as prev mentioned they ALWAYS get the washed out paunches of any deer,they get the axe split deer heads and if they are hungry they will chew on the hides..sambar have bristles not hair and when you see the dogs stools all of the bristles are lined up precisely in one direction ..nature decrees this in the dogs guts as its for an easy passing mechanism..even that gaybo parlour poodle will line up the hairs the right way.

I see where people give their dogs 'dog chews' like dried pigs ears etc..what is wrong with giving a dog what it SHOULD get...bones and more bones,something to gnaw on,it is as natural as any wild dog wherever,a pigs ear is not a bone!
It irks me no end to see Vets (here) spruiking how good the (insert canned dog food) is for your dog,a balanced diet etc..geezuz if a dog lived entirely on canned food its teeth would fall out and probably its eyes lol.

Cooked rice and vegetables belong on humans plates not on dog dishes. A carnivore is a carnivore is a carnivore and that dog that gets fed a brewed up mix of ***** will jump hurdles to get a piece of meat,fresh or old no matter.

The pet food industry is a major con and preys on the unknowing and fallible.
I once lived on a property where an unwanted/injured horse would be led down the paddock and shot and the "rabbit pack" of 70 dogs would feed on it for a week..the chooks never laid better also..protein!

The wild dogs of the world whether Cape Hunting dogs or any of the wolf species and the Asian wild dogs are certainly not a threatened species at all they have thrived even with man encroaching on their habitats,they live and breathe meat..no rice,no vegies,no additives just meat,bones and guts.They evolved with a no cooking diet!

Last edited:
I have spoken to the breeder and he is feeding Royal Canin which is good in one respect as it is available here. He says he is just bringing the pup of the puppy stuff to adult or junior at the mo. I will continue on this and work out what to do next in the coming weeks.

Is it not a bit young to e coming off the puppy food?
Must admit not familiar with royal canin but any brand I've used before usually recommends feeding till about 7-12 months before switching to junior or adult food.
Puppy food is dear usually 40-50 a bag but I do tend to keep them on it and feed them plenty to make sure they have all they need to be strong healthy dogs

I'm not going to get into an argument/debate about feeding barf, but just fed wot ever suits u and the dog.
I've yet to met anyone that feeds their dog a barf diet and I know/work my dogs beside plenty of pro trainers at top end of FT's as well as keepers wit 10-20 dogs in there kennels and even a few show breeders .If it was as good as claimed u'd think the show breeders or FT boys would change over to get an advantage

It may well be a better diet but hundreds of thousands of dogs survive quite happily on kibble food even reaching the top in both show and FT's as well as working many days a year into old age.
Personally dog food suits me and my dogs don't seem to mind either, my old lab is 13 this year and off picking up on grouse next sat still going well and he has done a lot of work in his life, dogs are rarely at vets too.
Mine get deer scrap/legs/heads too, the only mistake I once made was cutting the ribs up 2 at a time so I could feed it to dogs indivually (usually chuck the whole ribcage in and put all dogs in the same run) my bloody spaniels ate it down in 1 as if eating spaggetti, just crunched a bit and sucked it down. Done the both sides of the rib cages plus belly fat on each side in 1 long piece, I thought he was going to choke on it but all ok in the end. but I was worried that night

All dogs are different some may not take too kibbled food ir certain brands/flavours, but I've equally heard of pet dogs that are sick being given raw meaty bones (mibee been on dog food too long?) just go with wot ur dog tells u and suits u both

halle-phucking-lujah!

Dogs might have been tamed into soft parlour specimens but their guts haven't changed from a wolf`s guts no matter what size,shape or breed
I swear some of you blokes would faint if you saw what my dogs eat..with relish i must add.

If I`m killing wild pigs they eat pork
if I`m killing deer they eat venison
rabbit,roo meat,chicken meat,goat meat,sheep meat,beef they dont give a ratz arse wtf it is as long as it fills their guts.Whip the liver out of a deer and see a dog wolf it down on the spot (get it? WOLF it down)
The last liver I shared,mine was cooked their half was raw.
They swing off a boned out frame of any species,and as prev mentioned they ALWAYS get the washed out paunches of any deer,they get the axe split deer heads and if they are hungry they will chew on the hides..sambar have bristles not hair and when you see the dogs stools all of the bristles are lined up precisely in one direction ..nature decrees this in the dogs guts as its for an easy passing mechanism..even that gaybo parlour poodle will line up the hairs the right way.

I see where people give their dogs 'dog chews' like dried pigs ears etc..what is wrong with giving a dog what it SHOULD get...bones and more bones,something to gnaw on,it is as natural as any wild dog wherever,a pigs ear is not a bone!
It irks me no end to see Vets (here) spruiking how good the (insert canned dog food) is for your dog,a balanced diet etc..geezuz if a dog lived entirely on canned food its teeth would fall out and probably its eyes lol.

Cooked rice and vegetables belong on humans plates not on dog dishes. A carnivore is a carnivore is a carnivore and that dog that gets fed a brewed up mix of ***** will jump hurdles to get a piece of meat,fresh or old no matter.

The pet food industry is a major con and preys on the unknowing and fallible.
I once lived on a property where an unwanted/injured horse would be led down the paddock and shot and the "rabbit pack" of 70 dogs would feed on it for a week..the chooks never laid better also..protein!

The wild dogs of the world whether Cape Hunting dogs or any of the wolf species and the Asian wild dogs are certainly not a threatened species at all they have thrived even with man encroaching on their habitats,they live and breathe meat..no rice,no vegies,no additives just meat,bones and guts.They evolved with a no cooking diet!

So, that's the adult dogs sorted. Any views on a puppy still with puppy teeth?

Out in the wild the pack mates will regurgitate half digested food. Where is that in your regime?

Is it not a bit young to e coming off the puppy food?
Must admit not familiar with royal canin but any brand I've used before usually recommends feeding till about 7-12 months before switching to junior or adult food.
Puppy food is dear usually 40-50 a bag but I do tend to keep them on it and feed them plenty to make sure they have all they need to be strong healthy dogs

I'm not going to get into an argument/debate about feeding barf, but just fed wot ever suits u and the dog.
I've yet to met anyone that feeds their dog a barf diet and I know/work my dogs beside plenty of pro trainers at top end of FT's as well as keepers wit 10-20 dogs in there kennels and even a few show breeders .If it was as good as claimed u'd think the show breeders or FT boys would change over to get an advantage

It may well be a better diet but hundreds of thousands of dogs survive quite happily on kibble food even reaching the top in both show and FT's as well as working many days a year into old age.
Personally dog food suits me and my dogs don't seem to mind either, my old lab is 13 this year and off picking up on grouse next sat still going well and he has done a lot of work in his life, dogs are rarely at vets too.
Mine get deer scrap/legs/heads too, the only mistake I once made was cutting the ribs up 2 at a time so I could feed it to dogs indivually (usually chuck the whole ribcage in and put all dogs in the same run) my bloody spaniels ate it down in 1 as if eating spaggetti, just crunched a bit and sucked it down. Done the both sides of the rib cages plus belly fat on each side in 1 long piece, I thought he was going to choke on it but all ok in the end. but I was worried that night

All dogs are different some may not take too kibbled food ir certain brands/flavours, but I've equally heard of pet dogs that are sick being given raw meaty bones (mibee been on dog food too long?) just go with wot ur dog tells u and suits u both

Royal Canin Junior is from 2 months and he's 16 weeks now so all good. I'll have to make up my mind about the raw food debate and will have to invest in a seperate freezer for it. I get alot of deer carcasses and rabbits. Don't really want the agro of sourcing from butchers though I know there are suppliers who supply it frozen in blocks.

If feeding a deer to a dog are there any of the bones you have to worry about?

Have you ever seen a skinned rabbit hung overhead and just off the ground for a litter of five-six week old pups Greymaster?
They will shred the bloody thing in seconds like piranha,they stand on their back legs ripping and chipping..pups in weaning are hungry little *****s ha ha and will get it down no matter what..read above.
Read the same for a fresh roo leg or equivalent.
I have fed pups chopped meats of all kinds,its surprising how big one can leave the lumps..dogs dont chew,they swallow lumps,its a mechanism to get it down as quick as possible.
Think of that fat pork snag you gave your dog one day..no chew one sluuurp gone!
Once a dingo (insert same as dog) weans its pups they are lead to and get to eat from the next carcase and to feed themselves,they are after all carnivores and the bitch only regurgitates until they are weaned and as its a way of a bitch bringing food back for her pups it stops when she can bring them to the kill.Same deal with our home grown dogs,pups are far more resilient than the dog food manufactures tell us.
There have been a lot of litters of pups bred/reared/broken in here and nary a puppy food purchased for any of them,although I have used adult kibble softened with the Denkavit,warmed to expedite the softening.

Kibble is basically second grade feed grains that are hammer milled and mixed with meat meal which is the by product of the abbatoirs,all those horrible bits they cant put into pies anymore that is hammer milled also and steam cooked for a 50-60% protein count.The kibble nuts are formed and then sprayed with liquid tallow....thats it!

I remember skinning merino wethers that had died in the yards,it was an OT job and they went into the 'hogger' whole,heads,guts,feet the lot.The screw wound them up the pipe into the hammer mill and then into the dry render with the days guts and gut contents of course and off cuts for the meat meal,but it makes for a high protein count.

I was advised by a mate that was the green needle man in the Melb dogs home that the "fat and bone man" picked up all the dead dogs from the home and they went into the dry rendering plant as part of the meat meal as well..talk about a dog eat dog world! That was in the early 80`s and true.

My take on kibble`s which we have here in 20KG bags is to read the protein count in the description on the back,the higher the price the need for higher mag glasses as some of the so called big names have a lesser protein count..for more money..another con!

A carnivore meaning 'Meat Eater' is an organism that derives its energy and nutrient requirements from a diet consisting mainly or exclusively of animal tissue, whether through predation or scavenging.
lion,wolf,tiger, DOG.

Have you ever seen a skinned rabbit hung overhead and just off the ground for a litter of five-six week old pups Greymaster?
They will shred the bloody thing in seconds like piranha,they stand on their back legs ripping and chipping..pups in weaning are hungry little *****s ha ha and will get it down no matter what..read above.
Read the same for a fresh roo leg or equivalent.
I have fed pups chopped meats of all kinds,its surprising how big one can leave the lumps..dogs dont chew,they swallow lumps,its a mechanism to get it down as quick as possible.
Think of that fat pork snag you gave your dog one day..no chew one sluuurp gone!
Once a dingo (insert same as dog) weans its pups they are lead to and get to eat from the next carcase and to feed themselves,they are after all carnivores and the bitch only regurgitates until they are weaned and as its a way of a bitch bringing food back for her pups it stops when she can bring them to the kill.Same deal with our home grown dogs,pups are far more resilient than the dog food manufactures tell us.
There have been a lot of litters of pups bred/reared/broken in here and nary a puppy food purchased for any of them,although I have used adult kibble softened with the Denkavit,warmed to expedite the softening.

Kibble is basically second grade feed grains that are hammer milled and mixed with meat meal which is the by product of the abbatoirs,all those horrible bits they cant put into pies anymore that is hammer milled also and steam cooked for a 50-60% protein count.The kibble nuts are formed and then sprayed with liquid tallow....thats it!

I remember skinning merino wethers that had died in the yards,it was an OT job and they went into the 'hogger' whole,heads,guts,feet the lot.The screw wound them up the pipe into the hammer mill and then into the dry render with the days guts and gut contents of course and off cuts for the meat meal,but it makes for a high protein count.

I was advised by a mate that was the green needle man in the Melb dogs home that the "fat and bone man" picked up all the dead dogs from the home and they went into the dry rendering plant as part of the meat meal as well..talk about a dog eat dog world! That was in the early 80`s and true.

My take on kibble`s which we have here in 20KG bags is to read the protein count in the description on the back,the higher the price the need for higher mag glasses as some of the so called big names have a lesser protein count..for more money..another con!

A carnivore meaning 'Meat Eater' is an organism that derives its energy and nutrient requirements from a diet consisting mainly or exclusively of animal tissue, whether through predation or scavenging.
lion,wolf,tiger, DOG.

Hear hear.

That is a safe bet. Royal Canin is a good quality (if over-priced) complete food. I agree with a lot that has been said about BARF, although I personally believe in giving herb/veg nutrient - as would be eaten from the stomach content of a prey species - but your pup will do well on Royal Canin Junior.

Maybe, when he is older, you can review the situation and make your own mind up regarding raw food.

Update....puppy is here . Moss is settling in nicely..though I forgot what hard work it is. Haven't felt like this since we had a new born!

Food wise though he is not keen on the eating (Royal Canin Junior) Have tried it dry and moistened, first bowl he wolfed down. Since then just picks. He is not eating anything like the recommended amount. Could it be he is just unsettled from being taken to a new home away from his family or my other theory is that he was still in with some of his brothers and sisters so there was pressure to eat then that has gone.

Any ideas? Or should I relax and let him get on with it.

A Pal recommended Natural Instinct. Looks really good. Anyone had any experiences with it?

Last edited:
How long have u had the pup?
It could be just settling in or lack of completion at feed time.
Sometimes the recommended ammounts can be well out for different dogs too althou with a pup I would be wanting it to eat plenty.

By rights when u change the food ur meant to do it gradually over 5 days or so, mibee scattering a wee bit off chicken or something else tasty over the feed might help in the short term

I agree with Countryboy. Initially it will be lack of competition from his litter mates. If he hasn't eaten within 5 mins take his food up, cling film it and give it to him for his next meal. Dogs are opportunistic feeders and he will soon learn to eat what he get given.

My own pup (A cocker) is currently on a mix of raw minced beef, chicken or tripe depending on the day and a sprinkle of biscuits. When we used to feed exclusively kibble we found the higher the quality of food the less difference it made to their digestion.

Ian

Thanks guys, mixed a little sensative type canned food in with kibbles and did better this morning and have picked bowl up till next feed time. Shall see how it goes. Will get some mince though as I think this would be better.

Back