Thread: Roe rut.

Roe rut.

Not far from my house, approx 350 yards, there is a large wood (tiddsley) which is owned by the Worcestershire Wildlife Trust. It used to be famed for its bluebells and their open days were calendared to coincide with their flowering. Now, alas, there is barely a bluebell to be seen thanks to the muntjac, but there are other deer there too. It is stuffed with roe deer and no shooting is allowed. The overspill from this sanctuary is pushing roe into territory that was previously fallow only. Some of it mine, thankfully!

Being owned by the WWT means that there is public access to all areas of the wood, apart from when the red flags are flying on the MOD firing range. This means I have some cracking walks just up the road from the house, so the lab and I often trundle that way.

This morning was special for me, there is a fairly steep climb from the one entrance to the wood, with a hard track snaking it's way up the slope. I was trundling up the track this morning when the the dog stopped dead in her tracks winding something that was on the right of the track. I raised the palm of my hand and she sat down, as she has been taught to do with no spoken command, and I looked carefully into the shrubbery. There was a roe doe, sqeaking and leading a buck around and around in a little stand of ash not twenty yards from me.

Now not only was I pleased to see the deer, but I was chuffed with the little bitch for showing me the deer. It's nice when a bit of training pays dividends. The other thing of interest to me was how quickly the does squeaks followed one another, with barely a pause. Her breathing rate was quite quick and a squeak came with each breath. I have been using a buttolo call and leaving too long a pause between squeaks seemingly. Now I shall have to try a quicker sqeaking rate and see if I can call a buck, as all I have called so far this year are does.

Atb, ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Nice story. Must have been very magical to see them so close. The frequency of doe squeaks varies a lot depending on the state of the rut - whether the doe has attracted a buck and how receptive she is to his attentionsL

OT

Quote Originally Posted by Old tikka View Post
    Nice story. Must have been very magical to see them so close. The frequency of doe squeaks varies a lot depending on the state of the rut - whether the doe has attracted a buck and how receptive she is to his attentionsL

OT
    OT, It was nice to be so close to them, it's the first time i have managed to be so close all the others i have seen have been through binoculars or telescopic sights. And the best bit was, they never knew we were there

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Hi Flytie,

I have been for sometime trying to get a recording of a Doe calling during the rut. Pity you didn't have a iphone or some other method to record her calls.

Great fun to watch. A Keeper friend of mine and myself, watched in awe the same situation a few years ago. If the buck could of got his nose up her arse then I think he would have done.

regards
    ArthursC

Quote Originally Posted by arthursc View Post
    Hi Flytie,

I have been for sometime trying to get a recording of a Doe calling during the rut. Pity you didn't have a iphone or some other method to record her calls.

Great fun to watch. A Keeper friend of mine and myself, watched in awe the same situation a few years ago. If the buck could of got his nose up her arse then I think he would have done.

regards
    ArthursC
    Arthur, I tried to use my 'phone camera, but I was in direct sunlight and the roe were in shade. I'm afraid i do not own an i-phone or any such device. I bet Wayne Davies has got some footage of it, he uses a digital cine-camera as does John Robson from YRS, they might be able to help you?

ft

You are right about the buck's nose, if the doe was to stop suddenly.............
    Last edited by flytie; 09-08-2010 at 13:35. Reason: Moronity

Nice story Simon,I often see roe out in the field near country wide defford not to far from there.Dont forget your camra next time
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by arthursc View Post
    Hi Flytie,

regards
    ArthursC
    Like this you mean............

Attachment 2170

i was out this morning and saw a buck about 170 yards away so tried a call. fast and slow but no reaction they still are'nt in full swing yet here . Oh i shot him any way.

England, a large country south of the Scottish Border
    Out last night, called a Doe, she came in with her tongue hanging out so I thought she looked like she's been chased, no buck with her tho.
    Tried the "terror call" after about 10 mins I heard something behind the highseat, it was a nice 6 pointer, nose to the ground with his tongue out, took him in the neck at 40 yards, pics later, he was in fantastic nick, no ticks and his coat looked like he'd just come out of the washing machine