Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: keeping a carcase fresh

keeping a carcase fresh

will be stalking up in scotland this weekend and depending on the weather,as we're a fair bit from the car what's the best way of keeping an animal fresh after gralloched.i'm thinking of my friends before someone comments on be beying over confident
    i herd somewhere that muselin could be used to keep flies off and meat clean.

A muslin cover will help keep flies off providing it covers the entire carcass.

A fly proof net from somewhere like Jager Sport would be better.

See large fly proof net:

http://www.jager-sport.co.uk/?id=2&cid=42

Getting the carcass to a fly proof area quickly, so it can be chilled is the key to keeping the carcass fit for human consumption,

if your after smaller deer (Roe) you could consider buying a chiller box - cannot recall which company makes roe sized ones but they are out there.
    Last edited by Ronin; 09-08-2010 at 16:39.

Not appropriate in this case, but in woodland stalking I get the carcase into larder a.s.a.p flies are on it immediately. An old boy told to find an elder bush to hang it in if possible, evidently outside earth loos always had an elder bush close by as flies dont like the smell when you crush a few leaves. I though he was peeing up my back,excuse the pun, but I tried recently and it worked well? elder does have a pungent smell, not a wind up, just an old country mans one of several tips. deerwarden

I have also had this problem when summer shooting I have tried different makes of fly nets , the best so far came from bushwear . Make sure the draw string is tight . because the flys seem to get through the smallest of holes .

Chill123

I'd suggest getting a net with the tightest mesh possible and also trying the keep the 'bag' away from the carcase when hanging it up - reason being that some flies will still be able to lay their eggs on the fur if it touches. You can construct a sort of hanging tent using a couple of wire coat hangers that will keep the a space between the two.

I simply hang mine in a muslim, like this, these ones contain one roe deer each:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Muslim%20women%20shopping.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	2169

Yes, but what tags do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Deako View Post
    I simply hang mine in a muslim, like this, these ones contain one roe deer each:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Muslim%20women%20shopping.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	2169

Oh what a Burkha

Try and find out if there is a deer group near were you are shooting you can use there chill for a 10% charge eg if you beast is a 33lb you will pay three 3 cheap at half the price dont you think and if things go to plan there should be chillers all over the place very soon watch this space.

Heard the same here in Norfolk and Suffolk. deerwarden