Vectan SP7 .308 Load Data

d0nni

Hi,

I've been trawling around the internet and I'm struggling to find any "good" load data for the Vectan SP7 Powder. Their website has a very basic data table, covering maybe around 5 weights/bullet types.

https://www.grafs.com/uploads/technical-resource-pdf-file/20.pdf

I'm going to load Sierra MatchKing 150Gr HPBT #2190

So far this is the best ive seen

Request Rejected

Someone sp7 burns slightly faster than Vit 140 , & less than vit 135 . and that taking this into condiseration they would start @ 31gr & max out @ 46gr. ???

Obviously this is a Forum guy maths (i have no idea where he heard about its burning speeds etc) so a bit of official information would be awesome if someone knows of any?

All/Any input would be a great help

Why are people calling it TU2000/TU3000 ??

I don't profane on these Forums but I will for this. Make absolutely damn sure the SP7 you have is the same as is the SP7 you will find loading info for. There was at one time SP7 being sold loose in what for all intents and purposes re-cycled clear plastic 2 Pint milk containers. I had the misfortune to buy some of this, used correct loading info, safe loading practices. Yet first round down range popped the primer clean out and case head swollen into the bolt face. Thank heavens for Paul Mauser's failsafe design. I've handloaded for forty years and never done that before. If this is what you have I'd dump it. Meantime, from memory, Balle Europe website has a lot of info. But, please, if it isn't in proper labelled maker's factory containers DUMP IT!

Last edited:
Enfield I can guess where your SP7 came from as when I purchased TU2000 from presumably the same retailer it too came in a re-cycled milk carton which caused me some concern, especially so as there is very little visual difference in some of the powders from Nobel Sports. I was assured by the retailer that the powder I received was indeed what I ordered that still didn't instil me with confidence and I am in total agreement with you regarding only purchasing powder in original factory packaging.

Give Peter Lawman a call. He is the importer. I have used the TU 7000 in my .243 with excellent reesult. I did purchase it from Peter and it was correctly labelled.

Spiker

Armes d'épaule ou de poing, découvrez quelle poudre lui correspond

And it should come in bottles that look like this:

View attachment 86146

NOT bottles that look like this:

View attachment 86153

What is important to bear in mind that there are what are known as "canister grade" powder (sold in the small black bottles to the public) "non canister grade" powders that are sold in bulk form to reloading companies.

If you need to know the difference this might mean to you check the internet.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. yeah i heard they were doing that can confirm they are in sealed containers like the first image. cheers though. id be wild concerned if got it in a milk carton lol.

Ive made 7 batches of 3 rounds. all 2.900" (rifle was hitting 2.912") ranging from 38gr of powder to 44gr of power in 1gr increments. then hopefully that will give me an idea of where to tighten it up.

using sierra 150gr matchpoint HPBT

Just thought I'd give an update. Still to find any solid reloading data apart from what I previously found. I did find it has a similar burn rate to the imr 4320 Powder Burn Rate Comparison Chart @ www.reloadersnest.com I've since found a good group at 42gr. Also reduced my COAL down to Sierra load data recommended 2.775. Going to test this tomorrow evening. Will upload findings. Might help someone. As its slightly faster burn rate to the imr powder, sierra recommends max load at 47.6 I've maxed this at 47. See how it performs. Increased it in .5 increments again from 41gr-47gr

Just thought I'd give an update. Still to find any solid reloading data apart from what I previously found. I did find it has a similar burn rate to the imr 4320 Powder Burn Rate Comparison Chart @ www.reloadersnest.com I've since found a good group at 42gr. Also reduced my COAL down to Sierra load data recommended 2.775. Going to test this tomorrow evening. Will upload findings. Might help someone. As its slightly faster burn rate to the imr powder, sierra recommends max load at 47.6 I've maxed this at 47. See how it performs. Increased it in .5 increments again from 41gr-47gr

What is wrong with the link that enfieldspares gave you in post #6 ? Discover which powder corresponds to which rifle or revolver
Nobel sport the powder's manufacturers list the starting load with a 150 grn bullet as 37.8 and the maximum as 44.0 grns.

If you need any assistance with their powders you could always email Nobel Sport, I have always found them extremely helpful. Incidentally I have one of their reloading manuals which wasn't widely sold in the U.K. because it only listed their powder loads. The data may be a bit out of date now so it's probably better to consult the website. The manual is one of the best reloading manuals that I have ever read and full of useful data regarding cartridges and reloading equipment that while popular on the continent are not so common here in the U.K.

What is wrong with the link that enfieldspares gave you in post #6 ? Discover which powder corresponds to which rifle or revolver
Nobel sport the powder's manufacturers list the starting load with a 150 grn bullet as 37.8 and the maximum as 44.0 grns.

If you need any assistance with their powders you could always email Nobel Sport, I have always found them extremely helpful. Incidentally I have one of their reloading manuals which wasn't widely sold in the U.K. because it only listed their powder loads. The data may be a bit out of date now so it's probably better to consult the website. The manual is one of the best reloading manuals that I have ever read and full of useful data regarding cartridges and reloading equipment that while popular on the continent are not so common here in the U.K.

THIS and Armes d'épaule ou de poing, découvrez quelle poudre lui correspond THIS from ES before you experiment..

The confusion i've been having is with their bullet types - GS (Grand Slam?!) and RWS KS - Cant even find the abbreviation in their paperwork (http://www.lhs-germany.de/uploads/media/VECTAN_Poudres_and_Passions_Reloading_Data_2014_01.pdf) for what this might even be.

I'll tell you all where i am and what ive done to date. Laugh if you want, but im just trying to find my feet here.

I made an original batch of 2.900" COAL with 38-45gr - The length was by placing bullet into an empty cartridge and loading it into rifle x10 times, and gathered an average COAL.

I then noticed while firing these that the bolt was quite tight when loading and extracting fired brass. much more than usual. I did however find that i was shooting an excellent group at 42gr. (.25" at 100yrds) oddly a poor group at 43gr (1.5") another great group (.4" with the 44gr) - since learnt that this could again be due to the bullet length - i could have been that tight that on the 43gr group they could have been a few 1000th longer than both the 42gr and 44gr (this was checked but there may have been .002 difference)

I thought overall this was a fantastic result (having never shot a group like that with my .308) and talked about my results on a few groups on FB, obviously mentioning that the bolt was quite tight which concerned me. I then got my bubble burst and was told by many people to seriously pull back the COAL to book specs before venturing into the finding the rifling carry on, this would fix the tight bolt issues (had already thought this, but thats why i asked to confirm) So I did just that:

Then, back to the drawing boards. I made a batch of 40gr-45gr in .5gr increments, Trimmed all my brass down to 2.005", checking primer seating was all uniform and at a depth of .008" (literally went full anal on my brass prep at this stage) and made the COAL 2.750" (Sierra COAL Max states 2.775")

These all grouped fairly well, and again best result from the 42gr (.75") This time bolt not tight at all, and absolutely no signs of over-pressures on cases - even with the 45-46gr rounds, but their groups were not good (~2"). I did find the 2.900 COAL 42gr grouped far better than this batch, but as i said before the bolt was tight when loading/unloading which was obviously not ideal or advisable to have.

I've now made a batch of 41-47gr in .5gr increments. (made them up to 47gr after reading its burn rate being similar to IMR 4320) Brass trimmed to 2.005", again primer uniform and at a depth of .008" and COAL now 2.775" (As stated max in Sierra's Manual for this specific bullet) - when chambering the rounds the bolt is smooth so thats the length worry avoided.

Obviously i'm going to take heed in what has been placed infront of me here and previously
and tread very carefully when going into the higher loads. checking every round for any slight sign of overpressure.

My brain is telling me to not even bothering going to the 45.5gr+ area at all now as all the warning signs are there. (Books saying max load 44.0-44.8 depending on bullet type of the 150gr. Bullet seated further now due to COAL being smaller, therefore higher pressure within the cartridge compared to the 2.900" and the fact that i was basing the 45.5gr-47gr on a burnrate comparison table, which was based upon IMR 4320 while taking around a grain off the max of it - which in hindsight is a pretty stupid thing to do, considering they are completely different powders)

http://www.vectan.fr/UK/reloading-charges
GS is probably Grand Slam, but either way a 150grn bullet is a 150grn bullet (until you start dealing with solid copper bullets). The abreviation "KS" stands for Kegel Spitz (Cone Point). Just seat it to the book COAL, and play with the powder charges until you find the charge that groups the best. It's possible to severely over-think reloading .308 and end up chasing your tail.

It's possible to severely over-think reloading .308 and end up chasing your tail.
yeah that's what I did find! Info overload. Still to shoot my 2.775 rounds. been pishing with rain here and always windy last few days ive been free to do anything

<<...any "good" load data for the Vectan SP7 Powder...
Why are people calling it TU2000/TU3000 ??
>>

SP range are Ball propellant and TUbal are extruded stick: chalk and cheese.

I've used SP7, Tubal 3000 and Tubal 5000 in my 308s (sadly departed) and had excellent results with all of them.
Tubal 2000 is way to quick for most 308 I think.

Vectan did publish a book in the late 1990s and it still seems in line with their current data.

If found SP7 produced really good consistency with most sensible loads but could be tuned to give superb performance but on a batch by batch basis (up and down a few tenths of a grain).

PM me an email address and I'll drop you a note of what I have.

Back