Thread: Benefits of clean brass.

Benefits of clean brass.

I am cleaning brass at the min, ready to be reloaded. Apart from the cosmetic benefits of shiny brass, does it help the reloading, firing process if brass is mirror clean. Thanks.

It is a rather dubious practice to fire ammo that still has lube on it. You will get into trouble with bolt thrust.

Shiny polished ammo is just nice....
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    It is a rather dubious practice to fire ammo that still has lube on it. You will get into trouble with bolt thrust.

Shiny polished ammo is just nice....
    Does that mean if brass is really shiny i can get away with not using lube.

You will need to lube your brass whatever, otherwise you will start to get stuck cases in your dies, clean brass is needed to maintain undamaged dies / chambers etc, "Cleanliness is next to godliness"
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Eddie,
    Clean brass is - as everyone says - essential, but don't polish it. You don't want anything more SMOOTHLY polished than factory issue. A part of the function when the powder burns is that the case wall slams against the chamber wall and creates a seal. The case and chamber friction also assists the bolt in mastering the rearward thrust of the case against the bolt lugs and a polished case can interfere with this. Advice to me from on-high from an American reloading components company, which I pass on to others.

Clean brass is also easier to find defects in.

Case cleaning, tumbling, polishing is an absolute fetish with many reloaders. I don't do it. I keep my brass clean and free of grit. The only brass I "polish" at all is .22 Hornet, and then at the neck only.~Muir

Quick blitz in the ultra sonic bath and reload here.
    Unless somebody can prove that polished brass is faster and more accurate

Neil.

I agree Muir. I recently told a friend who is now venturing down the road to reloading - and stalking - that his life will be a bit like wandering down the red light district in Amsterdam, with inviting doors opening on all sides offering the delights of heaven - and ALL after his hard earned money.
    Keep it plain - keep it simple. Reloading can become a fascination and a money-burning one at that, with all sorts of needless impedimentia.
    The cheapest reloading tool of all is KNOWLEDGE - and the most easily carried. KNOW how your reloading tools and components work, and WHY they work - and their failings. Know the mechanics of how they interact with the rifle and chamber.
    Then pause and ask yourself. "That looks nice - but does it really DO anything important ? "

During my busier days on the hill, if I was a bit short on cases, I simply wiped the soot off the case necks in the evening - length-sized and deburred, and after checking for pocket debris in the case, reloaded.

Try to keep your cases dry and make a habit of vacuuming out your stalking jacket pockets. Also be aware if there's loose grass or heather about in the extraction area which might find it's way down into the empty case.
    Opinions often differ according to unknown circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by ecoman View Post
    I agree Muir. I recently told a friend who is now venturing down the road to reloading - and stalking - that his life will be a bit like wandering down the red light district in Amsterdam, with inviting doors opening on all sides offering the delights of heaven - and ALL after his hard earned money.
    Keep it plain - keep it simple. Reloading can become a fascination and a money-burning one at that, with all sorts of needless impedimentia.
    The cheapest reloading tool of all is KNOWLEDGE - and the most easily carried. KNOW how your reloading tools and components work, and WHY they work - and their failings. Know the mechanics of how they interact with the rifle and chamber.
    Then pause and ask yourself. "That looks nice - but does it really DO anything important ? "

During my busier days on the hill, if I was a bit short on cases, I simply wiped the soot off the case necks in the evening - length-sized and deburred, and after checking for pocket debris in the case, reloaded.

Try to keep your cases dry and make a habit of vacuuming out your stalking jacket pockets. Also be aware if there's loose grass or heather about in the extraction area which might find it's way down into the empty case.
    That's all I ever do, provided you add trimming to the procedure. ~Muir