Thread: Close Call

Close Call

Very happy week for me last week, after getting my FAC with .243 on it, I purchased myself a brand new X-Bolt, splashed out on a S&B 8x56 and slung a wildcat mod on it, took me a couple of days to find time to go out and get it zeroed in.

Went out with a buddy of mine and took 3 hours to get it to group 3" this isnt right we both said, something wrong here.

Cleaned it, inspected it could not find a thing wrong. Had a chat with one of the local very friendly deer managers who let me borrow his range for a couple of hours and still couldnt get it to group.

Cleaned it, inspected it again!! Still nothing, took the mod off and gave it another go straight in at <1/2" group. Bugger I thought expensive mod, took it back to the gunshop who checked it over and it was 1.1mm undersized for a .243 mod fitted all new internals and hay presto grouping with mod on <1/2".

Very nearly thought that either the new rifle or glass was faulty.. From bitter experience i know how difficult and how long that sort of thing takes to get put right. However even more lucky that something catastrophic didnt go wrong with the mod and injure either myself or anyone that I was shooting with.

From now on, my new plan with a new rifle will be zero without mod, then zero with mod and cut out any issues and measure everything to make sure that it is the right size.

Quote Originally Posted by LW_Norfolk View Post
    Very happy week for me last week, after getting my FAC with .243 on it, I purchased myself a brand new X-Bolt, splashed out on a S&B 8x56 and slung a wildcat mod on it, took me a couple of days to find time to go out and get it zeroed in.

Went out with a buddy of mine and took 3 hours to get it to group 3" this isnt right we both said, something wrong here.

Cleaned it, inspected it could not find a thing wrong. Had a chat with one of the local very friendly deer managers who let me borrow his range for a couple of hours and still couldnt get it to group.

Cleaned it, inspected it again!! Still nothing, took the mod off and gave it another go straight in at <1/2" group. Bugger I thought expensive mod, took it back to the gunshop who checked it over and it was 1.1mm undersized for a .243 mod fitted all new internals and hay presto grouping with mod on <1/2".

Very nearly thought that either the new rifle or glass was faulty.. From bitter experience i know how difficult and how long that sort of thing takes to get put right. However even more lucky that something catastrophic didnt go wrong with the mod and injure either myself or anyone that I was shooting with.

From now on, my new plan with a new rifle will be zero without mod, then zero with mod and cut out any issues and measure everything to make sure that it is the right size.
    Hi surprised you managed to group 3 inch with the mod being 1.1 undersize glad its all sorted out ,I havent come across this as I have only used mods for the last 2 years, T8 On a tikka .270,good of you to highlight this problem on SD