Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What a bloody waste!

Angry What a bloody waste!

Theres a small plantation 5 minutes walk away from my front door. It's less than 100 acres in size but is hanging in deer. A substantial part of it has wind fallen trees, is badly overgrown and 4 deer have been hit by cars travelling to and from it this year. The fence around the plantation is just regular stock fencing; not deer fence.

This afternoon i was flagged down my one of the old dears from the village who was distraught and crying. She'd hit deer number 4, it was badly injured with what looked like a broken back, bleeding from the mouth and the ear. Her little Daewoo Matiz was a right mess.

Fortunately i still had my stalking kit in the back of the car so could quickly dispatch it with my knife.

What makes me really mad is the fact that i contacted the forest agents last year, described the problem and asked for the oppertunity to control the deer numbers. I even included pics of the one dilapidated high seat which had fallen ages ago and was completely rotten and unusable. They were polite about it, but i was told that the stalking rights were with a stalker from Yorkshire and the only way i could control the deer was to outbid him next time.

OK, so that's the system and i either like it or lump it, but the woman who rents the stalker a cottage on the perimeter of the ground confirmed that he's been a total of 3 times in 2years. It just makes me mad.

Quote Originally Posted by scotsgun View Post
    Theres a small plantation 5 minutes walk away from my front door. It's less than 100 acres in size but is hanging in deer. A substantial part of it has wind fallen trees, is badly overgrown and 4 deer have been hit by cars travelling to and from it this year. The fence around the plantation is just regular stock fencing; not deer fence.

This afternoon i was flagged down my one of the old dears from the village who was distraught and crying. She'd hit deer number 4, it was badly injured with what looked like a broken back, bleeding from the mouth and the ear. Her little Daewoo Matiz was a right mess.

Fortunately i still had my stalking kit in the back of the car so could quickly dispatch it with my knife.

What makes me really mad is the fact that i contacted the forest agents last year, described the problem and asked for the oppertunity to control the deer numbers. I even included pics of the one dilapidated high seat which had fallen ages ago and was completely rotten and unusable. They were polite about it, but i was told that the stalking rights were with a stalker from Yorkshire and the only way i could control the deer was to outbid him next time.

OK, so that's the system and i either like it or lump it, but the woman who rents the stalker a cottage on the perimeter of the ground confirmed that he's been a total of 3 times in 2years. It just makes me mad.

Money talks I'm afraid

What makes me mad is the fact that they couldn't give a toss about the RTAs, the safety of the local residents or even the wellfare of the deer. I didn't bother asking how much the stalker paid.

Then they need to be held responsible for their actions. There must be a way to do so.

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries
    aye here we go again some other f#+*$%r money money money, makes me sick wonder if fella in question would have same views if it were his beloved driving the car when it hit deer . . . and not to mension fact that i belive insurance companies dont pay out on deer rta's so iv heard.. classed as act of nature

Scotsgun, This is the problem with the industry as a whole, it is more attractive for the companies to sell to the highest bidder, and meet the cull with contractors under the lamp at the end of the year, than it would be to offer the ground to a motivated stalker at a fair price.
    It's rife across the country. Sad really.

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries
    it is usual case land that really needs managing is usualy let out to some one way down south that only stalks it couple times a year... maybe land owner should contact lease holder and tell him he needs to get his arse up pronto!!

Due to the RTA's could the local council be contacted to lean on the landowner a bit? I bet if it was a new plantation nearby where the new saplings were being munched away something would soon be sorted out about it! The other fear is that you end up with poachers in to make the most of the high deer population.

This is very distressing to see and hear.

I would be fairly confident that the contract for the rights may contain cull numbers. If not then I would if I were you put together a good business case, listing the RTAs, Deer Damage, Local villagers views and really put some essence on the current stalkers failing in his obligation to manage, control and promote a healthy deer population. He through his negligence, which according to the tenant of the keepers cottage, has only visited 2-3 times in the last 2 years has no or little interest in managing the place.

Talk up your position, ethos and passion to the owners and if you can stretch financially, make them an offer. Iterate to them they have a duty of care and the impression given to the locals is that this policy is failing and you can help with this in a positive manner and promote professional deer and wildlife management and help reduce the rta's.

It has to be worth a shot and if you need help then I am sure the folks here inc' myself would help you towards completing the business case.

This is typical in many area's really, where a few people gave a huge amount of land that they can hardly manage but keep it just so they have a small monopoly. This really suffocates the good from doing good in a positive and professional manner.

I Hope things turn your way in this case.

Regards
    ArthursC

Since Landowners are legally obliged to manage the deer on their holdings it would be interesting to see if the insurance company of the lady would be interested in pushing a claim against the woodland owner. After all with 4 incidents within a close area given the circumstance it would be an interesting case. Athough the land owner doesn't own the deer they do own the habitat the deer are talking advantage off that is causing a dangerous problem beside the road.