Antihistamines for adder bites

Moonraker68

I'm on a walked-up grouse day on Saturday where a dog was bitten during a count a couple of weeks ago. I read somewhere that antihistamines are a good emergency treatment that help before getting to a vets. Is this correct? Thanks, Rupert

It won't cause any problems and may be all you need but personally I would seek attention from a vet asap as well. Piriton is cheap, safe and readily available so why not keep some handy

It won't cause any problems and may be all you need but personally I would seek attention from a vet asap as well. Piriton is cheap, safe and readily available so why not keep some handy

How much would u have to give a dog if it was bit by an adder?
Say a 30 kg lab? Roughly
I presume it would change with dog size so be many tabs/pills per kg

I was always told to use the equivalent child's dose. I know kids are usually dosed as per years but think how much a 6 year old or 12 year old would weigh in comparison to a dog.

Ian

I'm on a walked-up grouse day on Saturday where a dog was bitten during a count a couple of weeks ago. I read somewhere that antihistamines are a good emergency treatment that help before getting to a vets. Is this correct? Thanks, Rupert

Interesting post, I do a fair bit of picking up with my Labs and have sometimes wondered, when they are out of sight, how would I tell if a Snakebite was the problem. I have carried Piriton for a number of years on the advice of an old keeper friend but thankfully have not had to use it.

best,

Willowbank.

My Weimaraner was bit in the face a few years ago. Got her to the vets within an hour and she was ok, eventually, vet said if it happened again a 10mg Piriton would help.
She was treated with, steroid, antibiotics, anti inflammatory and antihistamine. Vet said if a dog dies & they often do, its anafalactic shock that kills them.
My Weimaraner was 36Kg in weight
Wingy

My Weimaraner was bit in the face a few years ago. Got her to the vets within an hour and she was ok, eventually, vet said if it happened again a 10mg Piriton would help.
She was treated with, steroid, antibiotics, anti inflammatory and antihistamine. Vet said if a dog dies & they often do, its anafalactic shock that kills them.
My Weimaraner was 36Kg in weight
Wingy

I also have a 4yr old Weim', who comes out with me on my rough shooting days.Living here in North Devon, we have sand dunes, moors, and woods in abundance. Luckily, so far he has not been bitten, as i avoid the dunes in the spring /summer walks, due to the Adder population, - and also my dogs inbuilt hunting instinct (thinks he's a Jack Russell)when he gets the scent of a rabbit. :confused:
Hopefully, the adders will be hibernating now, but your mention of keeping some Piriton on hand sounds like a good move.
Will certainly do that in future.
Cheers.
Steve.

IMG_1881.jpg

IMG_1882.jpg
This was about 4-5 hours after she was bit on the lower jaw and after vet treatment

Last edited:
Back