Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: electic collars

electic collars

any body used them and how did you get on.Whats the best way to use oneto get some results without hurting dog too much?lets keep it a usfull disscusion please,its not for someone to air there moral views

Redstag, i got a remote training collar for my spaniel who had a habbit of taking off in thick woods for hours! to my frantic searching he would return unfazed several hours latter looking like he had the time of his life!

Get one of the very good instructional vids from the USA, they use them on a good many of their hunting dogs and recon they are essencial for rattle snake avoidance trainig (assume those dogs that fail are in big trouble) Needless to say after a short training period i have never had a run off even when working in maize with large numbers of birds. in fact the collar signifies a hunting day and is welcomed by the dogs. the last two seasons have never required its use.

Some dogs just need a little more channeling than others and if used properly are a very effective tool to provide early correction when distance is an issue.
    In regione caecorum rex est luscus

What is the problem/s you are encountering with your dog.

ATB
    Cam

I have one and have used it on both my Chesapeakes for one use only - curbing them from chasing sheep / livestock. The bitch took one use only but the dog is particularly stubborn so needed a further two lessons.

It's since been used on a half dozen other dogs for the same reason. I wouldn't use it for general training nor would i allow someone else to use mine on their dog for general training.

I shall continue to use it regardless of what the pen-pushers decide. There are alot of sheep here and i am 100% confident that none of my dogs will ever chase or worry a sheep.cattle.

Hi Hodadr,do you still have to put the collar on or are your dogs ok with it off now?
    Andy

Hi.
    I took on a strong lab who at one year old had been kept with russels and springers. The previous owner just used to drive to a concrete hardstanding and open the car door for the whole bunch to run down the hedgerow.
    Needless to say,he was a bugger for chasing any little sound in the hedge and totally ignoring me.
    When your leg is not long enough to allow kicking them the collar comes into its own.
    The collar has been in the drawer for over two years now and I don't expect to use it on him any more.
    Good luck - Bryan.

Quote Originally Posted by redstag01 View Post
    any body used them and how did you get on.Whats the best way to use oneto get some results without hurting dog too much?lets keep it a usfull disscusion please,its not for someone to air there moral views
    I dont think the dog minded at all but the wife kicked up fierce when I put it on her!

seriously though although I have not used one, I went to a gundog clinic where an american trainer demonstrated using one on a volunteers dog that was a bit "deaf" at distance. I was suitably impressed he used the "nick" setting which a lot of US sets have. Its a micro second pulse at low setting, he even used it for positive reinforcement. The yanks are definately the experts with collars and some of the techniques they use are far more evolved than "giving a jolt as punishement" try and get a US video if you are thinking of getting one.

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    I used one on three from the one litter that I broke in at the same time. One always wanted to "go" the steers here and until he got Mr Shocko nothing much would dissuade him. My collar also has a vibratory effect that is perfect to call the dog back in at distance and is oh so silent,excellent!

Q Hodadr in fact the collar signifies a hunting day and is welcomed by the dogs.

Yes ,agreed my own put their heads through the collar voluntarily,they know they are in for a big day out too,rarely and I mean rarely is the shocko side of things ever used now.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by johngryphon View Post
    Q Hodadr in fact the collar signifies a hunting day and is welcomed by the dogs.

Yes ,agreed my own put their heads through the collar voluntarily,they know they are in for a big day out too,rarely and I mean rarely is the shocko side of things ever used now.
    So they must also know they can do what they like when the collar isn't on?

cruel and barbaric things that should have no place in dog training if you cannot train a dog without resulting to remote control torture then you should not have a dog