Worth waking up for.....

I arrived on the farm at 4:25 this morning, it's not a big place, 250 acres or thereabouts, but it has deer, in the course of a year you'll see all 4 species found locally, and this morning was no exception.
I was greeted on the driveway to a rather chunky munty buck, and in the first field to my left were half a dozen fallow does, needless to say parking up and getting out of the truck saw these deer all head swiftly for cover.
A quick glass of the same field (my highseat is on the diagonal opposite side) showed a group of 5 red stags and various other silhouettes which in this light were presumed to be more fallow and probably some roe.
There was no way I was going to reach the highseat without first clearing the field of all its occupants, that many eyes were bound to see me, also with the wind thoroughly buggering things for me, and the dog at heel with possibly the loudest pant of any dog known to man!
Any way, the reds departed swiftly, but the fallow and roe stayed as I made my way round the field margin.
closer now I was finally able to see a roe doe with followers and a buck stood about 50m off to her right. The herd of fallow were now on the neighbouring fields apart from a few stragglers and I now found myself within 130m of the buck.
Rifle up on sticks, one loud crack and all hell breaks loose as about 50 deer crash through fields of wheat to my left, the doe and kids ran off ahead of me, and the buck dropped in his shadow (if it had been light he'd have had a shadow anyway but you know what I mean...)
anyway, it's not often one gets to see so many deer all within one small farm, let alone one field of said farm. And to have all 4 species I can expect to find in the area all in one field together was an utter joy. I sat in the highseat for another hour and a half but that was the action all done and dusted, so it was early breakfast and a nice little 6 pointer in the chiller.
Worth getting up for I reckon!
View attachment 86540

Very nice write up, a little of what I saw the other week was a red hind and Muntjac doe feeding close to each other.

Nice picture of the 6 pointer I must add...

Tim.243

Back