Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your preference

Your preference

What would you prefer a 2506 or 308 for shooting sika?

I await your replies. Thanks

Hi Amanda

I'm in the Scottish Borders and have shot a substantial number of Sika in the this area with the 25-06. Used to shoot a .308 years ago but found the 25-06 more than up to the job and a little flatter/faster shooting, especially with the 100grn Hornady flat base soft points. I should point out that tried to shoot everything in neck or head as they are buggers for running if shot in chest and a nightmare to drag out from the forestry blocks. Are you thinking of purchasing a new rifle for this purpose?

Now use a .243AI as it also drops them on the spot if shot in the above way. Where do you shoot if that is not too personal a question? Fully understand if you don't want to disclose that.

I'd go for the best of both cartriges an 06 case with a 30 cal bullet
    Neil.

I own both a 308 and a 2506. They're my main stalking rifles.
    If im chasing Sika, i take the 308.

Hi Amanda,

In the neck with either of them two and its happy days..

Ive got a .308 but like my mates 25-06 especially with his Boyd lightweight thumbhole stock.. Nice set up.

Terry
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

6.5x55 works every time

Use a 25-06 with 100 gr barnes TSX mainly. Have also used my .300 Win Mag a fair bit with 200 gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claws and 180 gr Barnes TSX. The big rifle does not drop them any quicker than the .25 when they are shot in the boiler room.

25-06 does the biz no problem when i`m out 117gr fed

I use a 308, as Terry says, our mates 25-06 works just as well, I've shot them with both, according to Malc the difference is whilst the 308 is arching its way to the beast, the 25-06 has got there quicker, flatter and done the dirty

Quote Originally Posted by pip View Post
    Use a 25-06 with 100 gr barnes TSX mainly. Have also used my .300 Win Mag a fair bit with 200 gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claws and 180 gr Barnes TSX. The big rifle does not drop them any quicker than the .25 when they are shot in the boiler room.
    Delighted to see the comment re the big calibre. Its also my experience with sika stags that they run regardless of calibre when shot in the chest. Tried to point this out to friends years ago who had shot about 6 between them and they thought bigger was better. My .243AI does a grand job when catching them in the right spot.