Treating a cut in paw

Co1

One of the dogs has a little nick on her foot, not big but inbetween the pads. She licks at it quite a bit and it's getting red. Any thought on how to stop it? Is there a spray on treatment that will help it heal and deter her from licking?

When I ran long dogs back in the legal days I got one that cut her pad and was advised to use a product called cut and heal. It came in a jar with a sponge dabber fixed to the lid the hunt kennel man who advised me swore by the stuff.
Just keep an eye on it to make sure it heals from the inside out so not to close over anything that may cause an infection.
Good ole saltwater wash 3x a day also good but both these depending on the severity of the cut

For info, got some hibiscrub from the vet and soaked her paw in it a few times a day. After 24 hrs she stopped licking at it. Now all the redness is gone and it doesn't seem to bother her at all. Magic Stuff!

We use hibiscrub for our horses, it's very good stuff. We also use a wound powder for minor cuts. It disinfects and helps to close the cut.

Weekly basis?! How accident prone are you!!

Very :rofl: I fractured my knee, top of my hip and 2 ribs about a month ago, just a week later managed to put a knife into my hand meaning I couldn't walk on my crutches! I'm a mechanic by trade so nicks and cuts happen all the time

We get cut paws regularly, running over rocks, sharp windfall timber, chasing pigs and goats. The dogs will tell you they have a problem soon enough, if they can’t deal with it themselves by licking it clean. I’ll wash the paw in warm salt water to get the worst of the puss out, and then use the old school Zam-Buk, pushing it right into the cuts. Light duties for the dog for a couple of days, job done. Its never not worked, that method. Goes without saying, a staunch well fed dog with a good immune system is the best defense against infection. Mercurochrome was the go to ointment for general use for a long time until it got reclassified and hard to get. So now we dip paws and wipe scratches in an iodine solution for general maintenance purposes.

Funny you mention superglue, that’s not unusual here. Perhaps the most important tool to carry in the ute when hunting with dogs is the staple gun. Getting ripped by a pig is a regular occurrence. A proper surgical one is nice to have, but a heavy duty stationary stapler will work too. Combined with superglue, you’d be amazed what you can deal with in the bush.

I think domestic super glue is exothermic, creating heat to work while medical super glue is not, I stand to be corrected.

Last edited:
Back