Thread: Sambar Deer in Australia

Sambar Deer in Australia

This is my first write up on this forum. I thought it might be interesting for members to read another account of a Sambar deer hunt.
    I only hunt Sambar deer in a large area known as the Victorian High Country. Two weeks ago on a normal weekend hunt four of us hunted an area where we have hunted numerous times. We have a game camera in the area and this was checked on the Saturday and showed many deer had visited the wallow over which it was sited. The owner of the camera shot a spikey stag within 20 metres of the wallow that morning on the way in to check the camera. The next day I hunted the same large gully system with him and at about a kilometre in from the track in very hilly terrain we were honked by a sambar hind from about 250 metres. Sambar deer have a habit of sounding a warning when alarmed, many times to their own detriment because they are very hard to see in the bush. We pinpointed the deer and I fired a shot. A clean miss. She then took off to the right, contouring the head of the gully, running about 300 metres and decreasing the range between us to about 130 metres. She slowed enough for me to take a well aimed shot. My mate fired as well. It was clear that the hind wasn't well but had disappeared into some scrub.
    Sambar quite often run a long way even when fatally wounded, that is heart and lungs destroyed. Other deer would simply flop down, not Sambar, they are one tough animal.
    Blood at the last seen spot indicated a definite hit and the hind was found only 20 metres further into the scub. We always recover the most meat possible so the hard work was yet to come. In this case we could only recover the rear legs and back straps. Each leg weighed over 15kg and the backstraps about 6 kg. Sambar are big animals. A stag we shot two years ago weighed about 300kg.
    We packed up the legs and other meat and carefully picked our way out. An hour back to the truck, all down hill and by that time legs like jelly. What a wonderful feeling.
    Here are a few pics of the result.
    I use a Remington 30.06. The bullet shown is the new Woodleigh Hydrostat 180 gn. These bullets are solids and you can see the concave tip. The entry hole is similar to a wadcutter bullet but the damage from then on has to be seen to be believed.
    Grant

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    Did you mention the 'back leg"

Quote Originally Posted by johngryphon View Post
    Did you mention the 'back leg"
    One can't go anywhere can one?
    No Gryph I didn't mention that because I may have been mistaken, it could have been Shane who inflicted that injury and I wouldn't want to indict the young man.
    A mere pictorial demonstration of the power of a hydrostat. Who's to say it was on that animal anyway? Only somebody with inside information
    Grant

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    Only somebody with inside information
    Grant

Ha ha good one! He`s a stirrer isn't he!