Will I regret buying an Atec CMM4 instead of a Wildcat Evo?

oxfordshirestalker

Hi All,
FEO has given the all clear for my 243 variation. I'm now deciding what to buy when it comes through!
I'll be buying a sauer 100 in 243 but need a moderator to go with it. I've narrowed it down to two: the Atec CMM4 and the wildcat evolution. Much of a muchness in price but I've read things about the Atec having questionable longevity. Although it won't be having a crazy number of hot rounds through it, I'd rather get the purchase right first time as I'll be looking to work up some homeloads in the near future. It is this concentrated range time that some say the CMM4 can't handle without showing significant baffle wear. I am, however, drawn to the light weight of the CMM4.
Therefore, if you good people of the SD had to make this decision, what would you go for? Also vaguely considering the DPT but a, where can you buy them (based in Oxfordshire)? And b, do they risk suffering from the same gas cutting as the Atec?
Thanks in advance!

I have the CMM4 on a .243 and it is definitely light that is for sure. Cannot comment on the other one as no first hand experience but if you plan on loading and then subsequently bang off loads of carts as part of the process, it might not be the best choice.

I got it because it is simply a recoil moderator for a stalking/fox rifle that gets little use (individual shots here and there) For that, it is perfect. If I was shooting many shots especially one after another, I would probably opt for something else. Only ever really shot a handful of shots through mine in one go on a coupla occasions but it got hot pretty quick. Still completely fine condition but I would not think regular strings of hot loads being shot through it would help the longevity.

Mind you, it has a 2 yr warranty and is very light. Typically you will have to compromise on something.

buy the wildcat evolution,i have two 243 and 6.5x55 brilliant.give alison a call as she is very helpfull

I don't have any experience of the CM44 however I have EVO wild cats on a .223, a .243. and a .308 and have been very happy with and would be happy to recommend to anyone else

Hi,
I have an A Tec Maxim.
On the box it said 'If you disassemble this moderator the warranty will be void'. What's the point of a modular mod. if you can't open it?
After about 15 months of use (Several hundred rounds) my rifle wouldn't hold zero with the mod. on, but, shot fine without it. Careful checking revealed no obstructions to effect bullets passing through.
Opening it was a major job involving a vise, stilsons and some heat.
Once apart gas cutting (And not evenly) was very much in evidence,and was very advanced.
When using a T4AR the rifle shoots fine, so, i concluded that the uneven holes through the baffles were causing loss of zero. There were no witness marks to suggest bullet strikes on the baffles.
Before tearing it down I'd asked the RFD who supplied it, to send it back to the wholesaler to see if they could open it and check it out, and, that i was prepared to pay.
Answer came back 'As it's over 12 months old, nothing they can do.'
Months later, talking to a fellow club member, (His Maxim had blown up) he told me there was a 2 year warranty on these mods. And some scheme where you could pay 60% (I think) and get a new mod. provided you returned the old one. Too late for me to persue anything by then.
I won't buy another ATec (Nor any mod. from the same wholesaler).
When i shoot the T4 out i'm going with a DPT mod. from New Zealand. Two friends are pleased with theirs, but, only time will tell of their longevity.
Ken.

Can I ask what is so good about the Wildcat. I will be in the market soon myself.
its reasonably light, quiet, very well priced, and is a modular system, you can change every part economically and by buying extra diffusers and bridges you can run 1 mod on several different calibres/thread sizes, basically unless you want the ultimate in compact/light/sound reduction/exotic material (and are prepared to pay for it) theres nothing to think about, buy one! :old:

had most of them from top to bottom end and the Evo Wildcat has proven to be the best, its easy to do a thread change easy to do a size change without buying a hole new mod , fist class tooling has given this first class fittings.

iwanttoshoot,if you speak to alison at wildcatrifles and give her your location she will tell you who will get one for you,i know the oxford gun company will,not sure about francis lovell or banbury guns.

If your criteria is lightweight then go CMM4 all day long. If you want sound reduction then JetZ. It's all a compromise in my opinion but the CMM4 is excellent if weight is important to you.

I have both, cmm4 on the 6.5 light first class, no issues at all in 5 years. Wildcat on the 30.06 I would say first class build quality will strip for cleaning and replacement thread sizes available no problem British made can not say how effective it is but from my end I have no complaint,( I have only shot a few rounds as yet on paper) It is slightly heavier but that is not an issue for me. Evolution 1/2"UNF.

BC...

One tip with the Wildcat mods (I have both Evolution and Predator) after shooting open each end 1 turn, stops them becoming seized up after a while :)

One tip with the Wildcat mods (I have both Evolution and Predator) after shooting open each end 1 turn, stops them becoming seized up after a while :)
Thanks for that I shall keep that it in mind although I believe it is advised to put a little copper slip on the threads.

BC...

I went for the cmn4 on my blaser, I wanted something light that wouldn't effect the balance, and yes its really really light you don't even notice its there. I only use mine for stalking and foxing and its perfect for that, noise reduction is nowhere close to the likes of a t8 but I made the choice of light weight over noise reduction. On the odd occasion I fire a good few rounds when zeroing or developing a load the cmn4 really heats up quickly so I wouldn't say its suitable for target shooting. Ive had mine for 4 years now and fired a good few rounds through it without any issues.

Wildcat, I have one, 3 baffle stacks and does all my rifles. On 204 its very quiet. Easy to strip, all components interchangeable and easy to put whole lot in ultrasonic cleaner. Spares available mail order and as previous posters have said what not to like about it.

D

Wildcat, I have one, 3 baffle stacks and does all my rifles. On 204 its very quiet. Easy to strip, all components interchangeable and easy to put whole lot in ultrasonic cleaner. Spares available mail order and as previous posters have said what not to like about it.

D
I once put a Parker Hale moderator in a sonic cleaner, went in black, came out silver grey!
Ken.

Back