Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .270 Managed Recoil Ammunition.

.270 Managed Recoil Ammunition.

There was an article in Shooting Times recently which mentioned the above. I've never heard of them before. Are they readily available and, if so, how well do they perform?

Quote Originally Posted by Moonraker68 View Post
    There was an article in Shooting Times recently which mentioned the above. I've never heard of them before. Are they readily available and, if so, how well do they perform?
    Would be interested to hear of any stockists, can't find the stuff anywhere[well at a reasonable price]

Just downloaded stuff, why not use full strength stuff with a fitted moderator, my .270 shoots like a.223 with a can on.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

a load i was recomended,150 grain interlock with 42.5 grains of h4895 its slow around 2550 speed wise and no good after 150 yrds but works well on woodland roe

Why would anyone even slightly conscious of recoil own a .270? It is a fast round - surely there's a trade off between recoil managed ammunitions and true .270 characteristics... I don't know... I'm shooting from the hip here but if recoil were an issue, or a slower round was order of the day I think I'd go for something a litle more sedate, not by a lot though.

DC

Just realised that my end of the day, tired comments actually are of no help at all. Apologies.

DC

DC I think you actually raise an interesting point in the respect that you can always load a "bigger" cartridge down to fairly closely emulate a "smaller" one at realisting stalking ranges while you can't ever load the "smaller" cartridge up to emulate the "bigger" one. I believe that some loading manuals print reduced loads and while the legislation limits just how slow we can go here in the UK there are certainly options to tinker with speed and bullet weight to produce a load suited to the circumstances. The man with one rifle, say a 270, might stalk in some woods where he never takes a shot over 75 yards but might, at other times, use the rifle on the open hill for red stags. He has the option to build a load for both these situations should he wish.

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    DC I think you actually raise an interesting point in the respect that you can always load a "bigger" cartridge down to fairly closely emulate a "smaller" one at realisting stalking ranges while you can't ever load the "smaller" cartridge up to emulate the "bigger" one. I believe that some loading manuals print reduced loads and while the legislation limits just how slow we can go here in the UK there are certainly options to tinker with speed and bullet weight to produce a load suited to the circumstances. The man with one rifle, say a 270, might stalk in some woods where he never takes a shot over 75 yards but might, at other times, use the rifle on the open hill for red stags. He has the option to build a load for both these situations should he wish.
    Caorach,

Thanks, I have my own little ways of saying things but... you managed to state quite easily what I was attempting to in my long ramblings. I am a big believer in the capabilities of the .270 with a variety of loads. It's a shame (in my opinion) that most reloading manuals do not have much of a selection when it comes to bullets and powder type and mass. This principle obviously applies to other calibres.

Having said that I seem to stick with the fast loads that are just as effective at 70 yards as they are at 170 yards.

DC

DC

Hello gentlemen.
    During my first encounters with a .270, whilst agreeing with their obvious advantages of velocity and flat shooting, I mistrusted them as being able to kill at both ends. It was obviously NOT the rifle or caliber, but the early factory ammo which could be a bit lively in some instances.
    My opinion changed overnight when I obtained one and began reloading for it, and that was a fairly substantial Sako which had been worked on by Calum Ferguson before I bought it second-hand.

Later, I was given a fairly light, re-barrelled and re-stocked model, (A bit like my grandfather's axe which had five handles and three new heads), and by this time I was using H4895, so I re-worked a load up to 46 grains behind a 130 grain Sierra Gameking and that combination worked like a dream. My friend was VERY surprise when I handed him my rifle in a hurry one day as his .308 was in his truck a hundred yards away and an unmnoticed and runaway calf was seen running a ridge across a ravine.
    He stalked over and into the calf and shot it and his first remark when he returned was that he got the shock of his life at the reaction of my .270 when he fired as his own previous .270 had been an absolute bitch on discharge.

So yes - research to see if smaller bullets are available - and if your rifle will stabilise them - as said above - you can usualy load a bigger caliber down in weight - but not a smaller one up.
    Opinions often differ according to unknown circumstances.

My interest in buying the loads over the counter, is basically so my son could use the rifle [with me] on woodland deer, at the moment he's used my 22/250 on roe but it would maybe be handy for red and I'm not wanting to give him a flinch [ he finds rifle shooting a bit awkward as he is right handed and blind in his right eye, therefore has to shoot left handed]