First Fallow of the Season

d0nni

Hi Gents,

Had a bit of luck yesterday.

Was out stalking with my dad as we do must Saturday mornings once the season comes in. Started off a bit down beaten. Serious mist everywhere showing no real signs of lifting. Still carried on, kept ourselves out of wind where we suspected the deer to be and crept about our permission. Sun finally broke through and lifted the mist around 8am.

Fell in with our first batch of fallow. let them walk on, all does and calves (excellent condition - this years high grass yields doing wonders for them!) came into us within easily 2 yrds and walked on past with caution after catching our wind after passing us.

We then were at a height advantage and just glassed around seeing what was about and taking a we break. Dad noticed 2 does up around 1500yrds away on one of our neighbouring permissions. Then out of the rough a buck was pittering about around them minding his own business. He was at an awkward place to stalk into with him being there in the morning and alert so we left him alone for a plan later that evening to sneak in and wait on him.

Continued onto another we spot we have. Spotted another 6 does and calves, one big beautiful light coloured one, which survived the chop from last year. Seemed to now be that we packs lead doe too. Watched them for a few minutes, made sure to identify them all incase was a pricket amongst them, no luck. oh well. Had a lovely morning out. Went home had our traditional bacon sarnies and chat. Planned the evening stalk and went our separate ways for a few hours. (chores!)

Back out that evening and went round the back where we saw the buck. Got ourselves into position and waited. Around 8:30pm saw a doe come out and dander infront of us around 170yrds away. we across our field with a job in mind and came back into view 15 mins later with her calf in tow. Half an hr later our boy shows his face. Came out oddly where our wind would have been blowing too, maybe what moved him out, he did seem a bit spooked and jumpy. Either way he walked straight into my line of sights, wasn't broadside so watched him for a few seconds. Turned to the left, perfect for a shot. Dad whistled at him to get his attention and stop him. Bang - paced out to 180yrds. Shot a little high - but right through the shoulder blades. Punctured his lungs and died within 20 ft where he was shot. great day out, first buck with my new Sauer and first of the season.

Judging by his head and teeth we aged him roughly 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 yrs (head would guess 3 1/2. teeth wear would suggest 2 1/2)

Cleaned and skinned he came in at 120lb weight. fat as a snail.

brilliant wee parting experience with my dad who is away on Tuesday for 3 weeks to visit the brother now living over in america.

10312595_10154868145412596_5599624903635913863_n.jpg

Cheers Tim. Yeah I gave his booty a smack for banter and the shake of fat was unreal. Few places would easily say 1/4" - 1/2" fat. Seriously well fed

Nice write up and a good buck to start off the season. Are you seeing any clean bucks around get down your way?

Hi Luke. Yeah well he was literally just cleaned. Getting a trail cam this week so will hopefully get a better look at them. Very sneaky we fellas. There is a big 8-9yr old at one and only spotted him once in 3 yrs. Hoping to get him this year before he starts going back

Back