Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Range Rover Pros & Cons

Range Rover Pros & Cons

So I've sold my beloved L200. I am now thinking about a series 2 Range Rover so thought I;d ask you guys your opinion on the various models.

So lets have your experiences & opinions on the various models and their pitfalls.

Thanks

Stephen
    "Imagine you're a deer. You're prancing along, you get thirsty, you spot a little brook, you put your little deer lips down to the cool clear water... BAM! A f**kin bullet rips off part of your head! Your brains are laying on the ground in little bloody pieces! Now I ask ya. Would you give a f**k what kind of pants the son of a bitch who shot you was wearing?"

You got deep pockets?
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

No. Is it that bad? Apart from the fuel cost, what is there to look out for?
    "Imagine you're a deer. You're prancing along, you get thirsty, you spot a little brook, you put your little deer lips down to the cool clear water... BAM! A f**kin bullet rips off part of your head! Your brains are laying on the ground in little bloody pieces! Now I ask ya. Would you give a f**k what kind of pants the son of a bitch who shot you was wearing?"

You will hear stories of people saying they are indestructable and you will hear horror stories.

Air suspension pump gives problem, seals on the front axle, power steering weakness and they leak like a sieve.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Smile

if there aint no oil under a landrover there aint no oil in it !! that said i had new navara and now got 2001 disco seris 2 td5 and love it ,
    Last edited by 65X55; 11-08-2010 at 21:55.

classic is OK,probably the best range rover! the p38 i love the looks and interior if i had one (given!!) ide park it on the drive to look at get a Toyota!!!!

Range Rover was the best car i ever owned and the most expensive..............neil

Range Rovers.....why do we ever?

Probably had every model in the family at one time or another, including the most latest - that one tried to kill my father and the engine seized after 6 weeks of ownership, but that's another story.

Best one out of the bunch was the P38 i suppose. It was only returned to the dealer 6 times in the first year (or was it 7?). Nothing major, just things like the brakes failing, the electrics on the complete dash burning out, and power steering.

Oh and have you bought yourself an oil company? Believe me, you'll need one. Range Rovers and Landies like to mark their territory. This usually takes the form of a massive black oil stain which quickly spreads to completely cover your driveway as it pisses out oil from each and every gasket overnight. If you really want to be a hit with the neighbours and local council, just develop the habit of parking it outside in the street.

You'll also develop the habit of having a quick look underneath the wagon every time you stop at a garage. This'll be you trying to find the great big hole that must have opened up in the fuel tank to let all that petrol you just bought escape. Didn't you just fill it the other day, why are you filling it again so soon? If you really want to develop a nervous twitch, hitch a trailer of better still a caravan and you can literally watch the fuel gauge plummet from the comfort of the drivers seat.

Don't worry too much about long journeys and reliability as you will very rarely take any. You'll be far too busy lying underneath it, replacing the endless list of parts which fail with alarming regularity. Pick up any landrover magazine and you'll find pages after pages of businesses which supply parts, i used to wonder how so many businesses could exist until i started owning landrovers and rangerovers.

The really sad thing is soon you'll be suckered in and think its just part of ownership. You buy a calendar and immediately start highlighting dates for when you know you'll have to replace that solenoid that goes every 6 months, those gaskets that need replacing every 12, the endless supply of headlight bulbs you'll store in the glovebox as they are forever blowing (lord but the number of door tops my series 3 ladie went through). Then you'll be picked up by a mate who drives a jap or german wagon and he'll freak you out by putting on the radio. How the hell will he ever be able to listen for that tell-tale mechanical squeak or twang that promises instant financial ruin unless an immediate and complete gearbox stripdown is not undertaken?

If you really want a plush 4x4 and have set your mind on a Range Rover,..................... go and buy yourself a VW Touareg, Toyota Landcruiser or even a bloody Porche Cayanne. They will prove less expensive in the long run and you'll be able to turn the key without wondering what next will drain your bank balance.

My wife drives a VW Touareg and has done 90,000 miles in it - she did approx 24,500 miles last year (i checked the MOT certs) and drives it hard - she'll complain about other cars daring to get infront of her and keeping to 60 on the A702. It gets serviced every 12,000 and with the exception of regular maintenance such as tyres, filters, oil, break pads, the only additional cost had been 2 front bearings and 2 brake discs. I'm not saying that you should run out and buy a Touareg, i'm saying show me the Range Rover which can match that reliability record. For the price your paying, every plush 4x4 should do the same or better.

Account Suspended
    I drive an old series 1 Range Rover Classic that I have had gas converted that was 3 years ago, when I bought it ,it had 68,000 on the clock its now got 136.000 on the clock , Its a V8 3.9 and cost me the equivelent in running it on gas at 30miles to the gallon if I was using peterol, I also have that option as well.
    It cost me a grand to convert but was well worth the money spent, Its coil sprung as I would not even contemplate an air sprung rangie. Best 4x4 I have ever had goes forever
    and will go where other 4x4 cant.

Sails through the MOT every time practically with the odd exception of steering link ends etc and mine dosent leak oil

I think I would think twice about dragging a 40 grand vehicle over rough terrain and filling the chassis with water and mud it dosent seem to effect you as much taking an older vehicle
    Last edited by Mannlicher_Stu; 12-08-2010 at 05:39.