Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H4895

H4895

Trying to load up some 55gr ballistic tip's for my .222 using H4895
    If anybody has any experience of this combination i would appreciate any information that you can give.

They say to start at 20gr & work up to 23.5gr this is a compressed load.

Any help greatly received.

John

i would start in between them say 21.5 and work up. i have never liked the idea of compressed loads.
    i take it this is for foxing. because your using bt ammo. imo i think the 222 is better with lighter bullets

40 to 50 grains. reloader 7 with 40 grain blizkings are superbly accurate. or 50 grain tnt with reloader 7 will shoot superb and offer big damage on foxes

i use it in 2 .223's, 27gn in each (if that helps). if i were to try it in a .222 i would try 3 loads, in .5 gn increments working down from max. others would tell you different!

Quote Originally Posted by Offroad Gary View Post
    i use it in 2 .223's, 27gn in each (if that helps). if i were to try it in a .222 i would try 3 loads, in .5 gn increments working down from max. others would tell you different!
    You are a dangerous fellow, Gary. I would curtail that kind of advice if I were you. On some web sites I frequent you'd be tossed off for persisting in offering advice that contradicts basic, safe reloading practices.

Macky: The loading data you offered is what Hodgdon recommends. What is the question here? Is there someone here who can offer better advice than the powder maker? Doubt it. As it turns out, the load is a pretty good one that I have used for myself. Twenty-two point five grains was my accuracy zone.~Muir

i never gave advice, i said what i would do, which is safe.

3 loads at .5 gn working down from max, therefore make 3 of 23, 3 of 22.5 and 3 of 22. obviously fire the least first.

Quote Originally Posted by Offroad Gary View Post
    This is a ridiculous piece of advice to give, and more importantly has the potential to be dangerous. It is not very clear the way you have worded it what your intentions are. It is not until you are, quite rightly, challenged that you make any attempt at expressing your true intent.

When giving advice to anyone about reloading it is imperative that any and all advice is completely unambiguous. These are dangerous components being used here frequently by inexperienced people therefore safety should be paramount at all times. You may not think that you have expressly offered advice but you have, please think carefully how you word any future advice and make it very clear that these loads are safe in your rifles but may not be in others.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Thanks for the advice lads.

So fare i have worked up from 20gr to 22.5gr at .5gr at a time, still a bit wary to go up to 23.5gr as i have never used a compressed load.
    22.5gr has been the best so fare will try 23gr & see how it performs.

John

I'm guessing that you won't find much joy past 22.5 grains. Unless you have a chronograph you are shooting in the dark with regards to how much good going to MAX will do you. All I found going past 22.5 grains did was to lessen my case life. Don't worry about a compressed charge. If you are following established reputable loading data you will have no harm. Personally, I like IMR or Hodgdon's 4198 in the .222 and I stick to 50 and 52 grain bullets. 18.5 to 19.0 grains is an old championship bench rest load with either bullet weight. Accuracy from a good rifle is sublime.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I'm guessing that you won't find much joy past 22.5 grains. Unless you have a chronograph you are shooting in the dark with regards to how much good going to MAX will do you. All I found going past 22.5 grains did was to lessen my case life. Don't worry about a compressed charge. If you are following established reputable loading data you will have no harm. Personally, I like IMR or Hodgdon's 4198 in the .222 and I stick to 50 and 52 grain bullets. 18.5 to 19.0 grains is an old championship bench rest load with either bullet weight. Accuracy from a good rifle is sublime.~Muir
    What sort of velocity would these generate ??

Can you also recommend a bullet for rabbit, fox and the odd muntjac ??

Cheers + ATVB

Philip

Ahhh possibly the reason for using 55 grain bullets in the .222 is the same as mine. One cannot get decent 50 grain bullets locally. They all stock 55 grainers . I suppose they cater for the .223 and 22/250 crowd.