Calling muntjac

Boghossian

Any experiences in using a buttalo/other call to lure in munties?

I've heard it is possible year-round but haven't tried it, yet.

Any tips welcome.

Cheers

Gabriel

Calling Muntjac

Boghosain, I have had muntjac come up to me on two occasions when calling Roe during the rut.
Both times using the Buttalo. They were both bucks and came up at the trot with heads down as though they were going straight past me. Both were shot at about 30 yards and on the move as though their minds were on something else other than danger.
On another occasion I stopped a buck going away with a single peep on the caller.
Richard Prior's tape suggests not practicing calling in the woods as roe will become familliar with the call and ignore it and I wonder if you have roe on your ground whether calling at all times of the year, this might be detremantal during the Roe rut.

i only use my buttalo caller in the rut now and hav quite a few munty bucks come running in with quite an aggressive posture only ever one doe but also on occasion the odd fallow doe , i hav tried it for roe does but with out success and on the odd occasion hav had a fox come in too
To much calling in an area certainly seems to put the deer off from coming close or out in to the open and i sometimes find the odd roe buck answer the call back with a bark
i would not suggest buying a buttalo roe caller for using on munties but if you hav roe on your ground then it is a worthwhile investment but pratice first as it is easier to spook a roe than to call it in and don't over do it

We had this discussion about six months ago and I at the time said that you need to be careful when calling Muntjac. If a Doe answers the call, she may think that its her dependant fawn in danger. Its up to the individual stalker, but I try to make sure that I don't leave dependant fawns to starve to death or be gobbled up by Reynard. :confused:

Beowulf said:
We had this discussion about six months ago and I at the time said that you need to be careful when calling Muntjac. If a Doe answers the call, she may think that its her dependant fawn in danger. Its up to the individual stalker, but I try to make sure that I don't leave dependant fawns to starve to death or be gobbled up by Reynard. :confused:

A good point, just recently I have had access to a small parcel of land that holds a few roe and munties.

Until this point all I had managed to call with the buttalo was buzzards!!

One evening I ventured forth to practice where I had seen an ideal cull buck, within a few minutes of calling I heard a noise coming from behind me, my first thought was that it was a spaniel crashing through the white grass and floods at some speed. Then I saw her, a muntjac doe skidding to a halt just 5 yards short of me, we eye balled each other for a second or two, but it felt like an hour. She then ran off in typical muntie style.

Amazed and in a state of disbelief I repeated the whole process and again she came running. The following evening I saw her and the young fawn, so she has been left in peace.

However I did spot a poor buck and have copied my post from another forum

As I result of lack of sleep this weekend I was feeling a bit grumpy so I went to a little patch of land where some of you will know I have been watching and calling a Muntjac doe and fawn.

Last week I spotted poor buck so popped over tonight for a look with the gun. As soon as I arrived I saw the doe scuttling away from her usual spot.

I moved along and stopped at the base of a tree and started calling, quickly a Roe buck sprang from the blackthorn and had a quick look and walked back into the cover. He was not my target tonight and will keep for another time.

After calling for about 5 minutes the Muntjac appeared from the same spot I had seen him last week, a quick scan in the bins confirmed he was the same poor buck I was after. He was walking straight towards me so I shouted out to stop him and he obligingly stopped at about 55 yards and turned nearly broadside on.

I took the shot and he ran 25 yards and dropped and lay still.

So I loaded him in the truck brought him home and he is now chilling in the freezer :D

As you will see from the picture a poor specimen and an ideal cull buck.

DSCF0555.jpg

Back