20 MOA - two piece mounts

Zeissman

Has anyone ever seen a mounting system which offers 20MOA using two separate mounts? It would be on a Sako 75 which makes things a bit harder give the mounting length can vary a little on the Optilock system. I don't want a rail on the rifle we're building so am looking at any two piece options available.

All best,

Z.

Could you fit Burris Zee signature rings if so then should be easy with different plastic inserts and gain up to 100 inch!!

D

Thanks Cyres,

Very interesting. It is not hugely clear on the website. When it says that they have Zee signature rings for any mount, presumably they mean Burris mounts rather than Optilock, Leupold, etc?!

All best,

Z.

There is a pretty easy solution for this. Insert shims between the rear ring and base - The optilocks will accomodate this height change no problem.

Cant quite remember the diameter of the locating boss on the bottom of the ring - I think you'd need a 7mm hole shim as the ring to base screw is M5 but you'll need to measure the ring locating boss diameter to be sure. here's a link to some shims:

Shim Washers - AccuGroup

I think you'll need roughly 0.5mm shim for 20 MOA.

Last edited:
There is a pretty easy solution for this. Insert shims between the rear ring and base - The optilocks will accomodate this height change no problem.

Cant quite remember the diameter of the locating boss on the bottom of the ring - I think you'd need a 7mm hole shim as the ring to base screw is M5 but you'll need to measure the ring locating boss diameter to be sure. here's a link to some shims:

Shim Washers - AccuGroup

I think you'll need roughly 0.5mm shim for 20 MOA.

How do you accommodate the fact that the pressure exerted by the rings is not perpendicular to the tube if you use a shim on one ring and could result in the tube being misshaped?.........genuine question, not being argumentative.

Good tip Rory makes me think again about keeping the 75.

Yes, you'll end up kicking yourself for selling it cheap!

I like my 75 a lot, although I'd be just as happy with a T3 - bolt operation is a lot smoother on my T3 compared to the 75 A1 with it's miniature bolt.

I know, only difference is selling the 75 will fund the whole build on the T3 but selling the T3 will only fund some of the Sako build.

FF the Optilock inserts allow the scope quite a margin of error so wouldn't damage it. Pretty much what the Signature Zee rings do.

I dont know how optilocks work, but on Burris you put in opposite pairs of inserts and they self align like the inserts in the arms of a tractor 3 point linkage so no stress.

D

Sounds like Burris offer the neater solution and I say that as an optilock user. Possibly even with the aid of a shim as takbok suggests. Do we know if the Burris rings fit either optilock bases or Leupold QD bases?

Sounds like Burris offer the neater solution and I say that as an optilock user. Possibly even with the aid of a shim as takbok suggests. Do we know if the Burris rings fit either optilock bases or Leupold QD bases?

Does anyone know if the Burris Signature Rings (with the 20MOA inserts) would fit into the Leupold QR bases?

i.e. are these:
QR Sako 2-pc Mounts | Leupold
compatible with these:
Signature Ringsâ„¢ | Burris Optics

Or can one buy the Pos-Align inserts for Optilocks, Leupold, etc. to allow for increased elevation using a two piece mounting system?

Does anyone know if the Burris Signature Rings (with the 20MOA inserts) would fit into the Leupold QR bases?

i.e. are these:
QR Sako 2-pc Mounts | Leupold
compatible with these:
Signature Ringsâ„¢ | Burris Optics

Or can one buy the Pos-Align inserts for Optilocks, Leupold, etc. to allow for increased elevation using a two piece mounting system?

No is the short answer. The Burris rings are designed to go on a Picatinny rail or a Weaver rail. They are very good, but are not designed for frequent changes. I have some Burris Signature Rings for sale because I want to be able to quickly change scopes.

For Sale: Selection of Burris 30mm scope rings

Regards

JCS

Had to shim my .243 the same amount. Just used old 35mm camera film (no dissimilar metal corrosion issues) to build up required thickness. As Rory has said 0.01" gives 1MOA so 0.2" will give you the 20moa you need. The film is possibly slightly compressible so gonna be a wee bit of variation but still works to centre the range to the scopes mid point and just use its adjustment from there. Worked fine for me:)

Back