Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grrrrrrr Land checks

Grrrrrrr Land checks

Had my 2nd visit today for a check of security and as the FEO left he told me no problems all the forms were completed and the 3 calibres Id asked for as well as a 23.5 inch 9mm shotgun would be no problem, the rimfires (.17 and .22) and 9mm would be recommended as open day one and the .243 he expected would have a mentor condition on it.

Great thinks I and headed off to work...On my return home theres an answer phone message telling me he had checked the land on the register and a senior FEO had previously only considered it suitable for shotguns and air rifles I would have thougth that was the first job.

To say Im hacked off is an understatement. Ive used rimfires on this land under estate rifle rules for years, been shooting it for 30 years. The old stalker used a 6.5x55 for all his stalking, its 420 acres of pasture, arable and woodland set in a small valley with 4 high seats. Yes there are footpaths but that doesnt make the land unsafe to shoot on.

Any advice welcome, Ive left a message telling him Id like to walk him round it and show him the seats etc, but as it was inspected by a senior FEO Im wondering if he would then clear it.

Thames Valley btw

Edited to say this also stuffs me Im guessing for the rimfires as well as .243....Bit of a bind as a qualified (all be it in March 10) , insured self employed pest controller with rabbit contracts starting in September counting on rimfires to help me earn a living.
    Last edited by Dakaras; 12-08-2010 at 17:44.

Hi Dakaras, you got Keith Jennings or George Hardy as your FEO?

Cheers
    Chris
    Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Hi Chris

Its Alan Clark

Quote Originally Posted by Dakaras View Post
    Ive used rimfires on this land under estate rifle rules for years, been shooting it for 30 years. The old stalker used a 6.5x55 for all his stalking, its 420 acres of pasture, arable and woodland set in a small valley with 4 high seats. Yes there are footpaths but that doesnt make the land unsafe to shoot on.

Edited to say this also stuffs me Im guessing for the rimfires as well as .243....Bit of a bind as a qualified (all be it in March 10) , insured self employed pest controller with rabbit contracts starting in September counting on rimfires to help me earn a living.
    From the above it sounds as if you might be more qualified even at this early stage of your shooting career than those who are making up the rules!

I'd suggest asking them to get a move on as you are requiring the FAC to be issued for employment reasons. If they baulk at the nominated land get their reasons in writing and respond with the info quoted above. If they still refuse, ask for the refusal to issue the cert in writing and tell them you intend to appeal the decision. Also mention that they are preventing you from working.

As always join a good organisation that will back you up on this sort of thing - I'm with SACS because they appear to be willing to get involved - and make sure you get everything in writing, don't accept verbal decisions even at this early stage because it will come back and bite you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakaras View Post
    Hi Chris

Its Alan Clark
    Damm don't know him, I know Keith & George well & they are both good blokes, George went out on a limb for me to get my fac opened up.

Good luck mate, keep pushing them.

Chris
    Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

From my understanding of this
    If the land was only deemed suitable for a lesser calibre in the past
    on application of a larger calibre than the land was previously deemed suitable for
    then a new land check is needed in order to update the records and re-check suitability of the ground for the calibres in-question for the reason requested for
    I presume you hav given the letter of permission stating you hav permission to control foxes and deer on the land
    and would like to go on their recomendations of which type of rifles they are prepared to issuse you for such effective control on these species

If the previous old stalker had a 6.5x55 and the land was cleared for this calibre, I fail to see how they can refuse you as the land must have been cleared in the past? I wouldnt ask them what calibres you need to use, when you are a professional pest controler!!!

I would compose a letter pointing out that the land was alreday shot over before, and there should be no reason for your being refused, and insist on being told for what reason they are now blocking your request.

Best

Sikamalc

Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc View Post
    If the previous old stalker had a 6.5x55 and the land was cleared for this calibre, I fail to see how they can refuse you as the land must have been cleared in the past?
    The 'old stalker' might have had an open FAC so possibly there would never have been a need for a land inspection with regard to his shooting on the property.

It would make a good precedent for use of at least a 6.5x55 though - and if it's cleared for that, in theory should be okay for any centrefire.

Well the update is this.

Because the land was checked within the last few months they wont budge on it. They may consider a high seat only condition. My only option for that land now is if the land check report is deemed to not be comprehensive then BASC have said they have something to work on.

Apparently the 6.5 x 55 user was on open cert. As to previous checks it has in the past been cleared for rimfire but is now deeemed suitable for shotgun and air rifle only.

Meantime my FEO seems to be trying his best on my behalf, I have a meeting later in the week for approx 1000 acres of permission which he has said he will do the check on (It does need a check) with me as soon as I can set it up. So Im keeping everything crossed that I can get the permission.

If that doesnt work Im going to have to throw all the small parcels of land I have at him and hope something comes up trumps and pursue the high seat option.

Maybe he should be "walked" over the whole lot!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!