What's in your first aid kit?

Siggy

Hi,

Thinking of augmenting my first aid kit, so wondering what people have in their's for them and their dog

cheers

antiseptic wipes & gel,gloves,scissors,plaster, steristrips, safety pins, adhesive tape,dressings, various bandages (eye/finger/no.4's/no.6's/ military field dressing/triangular), face mask, foil blanket, wound dressing powder.

antiseptic wipes & gel,gloves,scissors,plaster, steristrips, safety pins, adhesive tape,dressings, various bandages (eye/finger/no.4's/no.6's/ military field dressing/triangular), face mask, foil blanket, wound dressing powder.

Similar to above. Lots of big pads and bandages. Also a pack of 300mg aspirin for cardiac stuff, Paracetamol and ibuprofen.

Ian

Wound clotting powder ( Celox) gloves,scissors, safety pins, adhesive tape,dressings, various bandages, foil blanket, wound dressing powder plasters, Micropore tape, steri strips, Asprin, GTN spray, Card with medical details address and next of kin contact details.

My always present kit has just the basics- gauze, pads, tape, elastic wrap, bandage antibiotics ointment, gloves, tweezers scissors, and various OTC meds, superglue and single pack of sutures.

my deluxe kit, that goes in the truck anytime I take the dogs out is just shy of an operating room. Wife is a medical provider so she gets me lots of out of date or partially full supplies. Surgical drapes, scalpel, cauterizer, lidocaine sutures hemostats quick clot etc... Have rarely users it, been it is needed it can be a life saver

Iodine and superglue. Usually have gloves and something to use as a bandage if worst came to worst. Fix anything with superglue though!

Most minor injuries can wait until you get home where you can clean and dress them properly. Above that, much will also depend upon your training in first aid as you could make a bad situation far worse!
For instance, Tourniquets can definitely save life, but if applied where not necessary can be the cause of limb loss or even death through toxic shock! The Celox crystals and bandages are amazing, but once again, you need to know how to use them and the associated risks. Most likely wounds for stalkers are cuts and stabs from knives, generally self-inflicted! Basic dressings and pressure along with elevation of wound are all that is required. I believe that everyone should be trained in first aid and it should start at school! Having a first aid kit is one thing, but knowing how to use it is essential! It's a bit like carrying jump leads in your car. You are far more likely to be helping someone else than yourself!
Gunshot wounds with a stalking rifle are thankfully rare but will generally be extremely traumatic and most likely fatal due to the nature of our ammunition.
Prevention via education is clearly the key, but training in First Aid is a great thing to achieve, and could ultimately save the life on somebody you love.
There is some great equipment out there now including Defibrillators in known locations. My village has two either side of the railway line. Great things to have, but without knowledge they are less likely to be used to good effect.
MS

Antiseptic wipes , celox, Israeli bandage ...roll of micropore tape or electrical tape
Never thought of the super glue that's a good one , and can get the little one use shots in tube .

Antihistamines for dog adder bites ( spate of em up here last week) in car I always have paracetamol & ibuprofen

Paul

Haemostatic agents need to be at the site of bleeding. So gauze is much better as it can be packed into the wound and won't blow or wash away when you use it.

I have a few FAKs. For stalking I carry a CAT tourniquet and olaes dressing as distal wounds are most likely.

For a range I have celox, CATs and chest seals. I'll likely have IV fluids and TXA (plus IV access kit) and adrenalin in my car too. As when there are many people the types of wounds can be different.

My car will also have a normal FAK in with sticky plasters, pocket mask, glucose and aspirin etc in too.

This isn't a recommendation, just suits my skill set and what I have available.

What I would recommend is learning first aid as knowledge is more important to kit in many situations.

On a range the most likely problem encountered will be medical, such as a diabetic hypo or cardiac problems.

Last edited:
I have an optrex eye cup in my First Aid kit because twice now someone has got something in their eye which needed to be washed out. Bit easier than a clean cup

Celox impregnated dressings have a shelf life/use by date so have to be checked and replaced
Checking and replacing stuff is a top tip

Celox bandages, large and medium wound dressings, eye wash, micropore, tweezers, tiny mirror. Enough to deaI with a major bleed and a few minor ones. I think the most important things are a good knowledge of first aid and your location. Also if you have a smart phone, there are apps available to input your personal health information and contact details which the emergancy services are trained to look for.

Question lads. Superglue for cuts? Is that common or garden Superglue or some medical stuff?

I haven't heard of it before , sounds like a good tip.

Atb

Sam

Question lads. Superglue for cuts? Is that common or garden Superglue or some medical stuff?

Atb

Sam

It was designed/invented during the Vietnam war for this purpose.

Last edited:

Atb

Sam

Regular super glue is somewhat exothermic when it sets. Medical glue is slightly different and not exothermic.

Back