Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: 4.75x40 Scope

  1. #1

    4.75x40 Scope

    I had a chance the other day to have a look through a Weaver Grand Slam 4.75x40 and was stunned by the clarity. The chap showing it to me maintained that it was an excellent stalking magnification, and the quality was undoubtedly superb (as far as I could tell!).

    I understand that 4x used to be very popular for stalking, so why did everyone start changing up? Do you think fixed low mags still have a role or have they been rendered obsolete? I think Weaver have now discontinued the fixed mag Grand Slam, so they clearly think it is outdated!

  2. #2
    It's outdated especially for the American market where variables rule supreme. it does not mean they're better but the average American shooter is probably far less informed than even the British shooter and let's face it some are shockingly uninformed here.

    Sorry Muir but you know what I mean. I prefer fixed mags and of the variable scopes i have they are set on 6x and left there. Also have a few fixed 4x scopes.

    It comes down to what sells not what is best .

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by liamnjs View Post
    I had a chance the other day to have a look through a Weaver Grand Slam 4.75x40 and was stunned by the clarity. The chap showing it to me maintained that it was an excellent stalking magnification, and the quality was undoubtedly superb (as far as I could tell!).

    I understand that 4x used to be very popular for stalking, so why did everyone start changing up? Do you think fixed low mags still have a role or have they been rendered obsolete? I think Weaver have now discontinued the fixed mag Grand Slam, so they clearly think it is outdated!
    Compare against anything German/Austrian and prepare to be triple stunned!

  4. #4
    Go to a BDS meet and notice how many variables are on the rifles, then ask how many actually use the variable mags. Fixed mags are invariably better as they are more robust and are judged solely on their optics, not gimicks like balistic drop compensators - there's a laugh!
    The optimum scope for stalking remains the 6x42. It is but one of the reasons why countries like Israel continues to use them for their urban sniper rifles - in their particular case a Kahles scope.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    It's outdated especially for the American market where variables rule supreme. it does not mean they're better but the average American shooter is probably far less informed than even the British shooter and let's face it some are shockingly uninformed here.

    Sorry Muir but you know what I mean. I prefer fixed mags and of the variable scopes i have they are set on 6x and left there. Also have a few fixed 4x scopes.

    It comes down to what sells not what is best .
    Unfortunately, true. I use several variables but they are set at 3X or 4X and left that way. My serious rifles have fixed 4X except for my CZ Hornet, which sports an S&B 6X fixed power. This was a gift from a dear friend and I won't remove it in favor of any American scope. In truth, European optics are generally better than our own -which are largely made in the Orient these days.

    I can't understand the urge for large scopes these days, on either side of the pond. To me, nothing spoils a good rifle faster than mounting a huge scope, high above the action. Good optics don't require a huge objective to "gather light"; the usual excuse for these telescopes.

    Back to the Weaver. I mounted a vintage still-in-box, new old stock, Weaver 1.5 - 4.5X variable on my Winchester 243 for my daughter to use deer hunting. It is a brilliant scope and well suited to broken country hunting between woodland and prairie. The dear daughter kept the rifle and the scope as well! (sigh!) It is still a nice scope... just not MY nice scope. ~Muir

  6. #6
    Muir, I have a couple of the old steel tubed Weavers. Both acquired new in bow. One is a K3W and the other a K1.5 that I use on the .458. This one has the tapered post and hair reticlule.

  7. #7
    Very nice stuff for a heavy rifle. I had the same scope on a Model 100 Winchester .308 used for timber hunting. (What are you doing up so early??) ~Muir

  8. #8
    I had actually been looking through a S+B 8x56 mere moments before looking through the Weaver. I couldn't see a difference in brightness or clarity, although obviously no test in-shop compares to in the field. I also looked through a Leupold FX III 6x42, which under those conditions actually seemed brighter than the S+B.

    *Puts on flame retardant jacket*

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Muir, I have a couple of the old steel tubed Weavers. Both acquired new in bow. One is a K3W and the other a K1.5 that I use on the .458. This one has the tapered post and hair reticlule.
    I was going to add that I have a K3 Wide View on my 375 H&H right now, and a K-3 on my favorite .308 hunting rifle. Both are the kind in which the front objective is just the 1" scope body and neither has a problem in low light situations. They are trim, compact, and not prone to damage as most of the short steel body lays between the rings... in fact, the K3 on my .308 Brno makes a find carrying handle. They are that rugged! Love 'em. ~Muir

  10. #10
    Our stalking team had 4X when they were the usual power to have. I used to drill out the light bolt holes in the base of the 'scope rings which fixed onto the dovetails and fit stronger bolts with locking nuts as the original ones had a habit of shearing off.

    Then the fashion upped to 6X and that was fine for those who could afford the change. They WERE good for a bit more of a picture. I use them on my stalking rifles. Kahles, Smidt & Bender, and now Swarovski. I believe in doing without in other things in order to give my rifles the best chance to work, but the main thing was to get a good fixed power scope and fasten it down as tight as possible - and low to the barrel.
    I too liked the old, short, steel bodied weavers - and also like you used them as carrying handles, but they were on the estate rifle handled and fired by guest stalkers, and got knocked about to their detriment.
    Last edited by ecoman; 14-08-2010 at 22:58. Reason: keying errors - spelling
    Opinions often differ according to unknown circumstances.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •