Unusual antlers?

kenbro

My son called last week and said he had a deer in the garden, looks like it's been fighting he said.
5 min drive later i was there.
Witness marks were buck had crashed through hedge and quite large area of lawn flattened so the soil was showing through. It must have been thrashing about.
When i approached it was obvious it had been in a RTA. Hair missing from different parts of it.
It was lying on its side and made no attempt to get up, the only thing moving was its eye.
I dispatched it.

Telling this story because I've not shot a roe since the 70s, but I don't remember seeing one with antlers like this one. I think they are deformed.
I can't post pictures here, but, would appreciate if some roe expert would send me an email address so i could mail some pictures of the head, and perhaps comment on it.
Regards,Ken.

Ok Ken here are some of the pics

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

You did well puting this poor lad out of his misery
Ray

Hi Ken

Did this occur in the Manchester area? Always interesting to keep tabs on their expansion into that area.

Novice

.Heywood. Virtually at the top of the M62 batter.
Roe and a few reds on outskirts of town and sika seen and photographed 5 miles north of town.
Think the reds grew from escapees,sika? No idea.
Regards,Ken.

Last edited:
Interesting head, based on the angle of the coronets he is very old (are his teeth worn?) and that can cause similar malformation (see my avatar) unlikely frost damage where you live - any internal organ infestation such as liver fluke or lungworm?

Roe have been found down to the M60 for some time now. I'm Chairman of the Bowand DMG and there has been various sitings of sika all the way down to Bolton way since I joined over 14 years ago, I don't know of any sika collection escapes down there so one assumes they are indeed from the Bowland herd. From Gisburn they can travel via farmland south and on the to moors down to Bolton/Blackburn etc using one of the underpasses under the M65 of course. Our sika travel a similar distance up to the Lakes. It is usually a young/middle age stag and they will often lay up during the day and travel at night.

Well done on the dispatch,

I've seen roe in Bury and around Horwich just on from boltons football ground,

kjf

I've seen roe just off the bury side of J18 on the M60 while driving and I'm 90% that I've seen Sika close to the westhoughton junction on the M61 again while driving.

Back