fox cage trap

ironmatt

Hi all,

my Dad has spotted an unwanted charlie around his house and has asked if I could dispose of it. He has a couple of fields at the side of his house with the horses in but the topography of the ground isn't ideal for a rifle as they're fairly flat and there are a collection of houses a few hundred yards behind them so id rather not risk bringing the .22-250 out. So I'm tempted by using a cage trap and finishing with the .410 or a .22 sub. Only ever used the smaller ones on greys and rats. Done a bit of a search online but the only ones I can seem to find are 80cm x 25cm x 25cm. Is that alright? It seems quite small? Can anyone offer any advice on using them or maybe a link to one that's larger? Or should I have no worry and that size is suitable?

Cheers

Matt

Ive never found cage traps that affective for country foxes especialy vixens, urban foxes seem mkre willing to cooperate. Your trap sounds very small i think you would want to be nearer the 2 m mark, free bait in the mouth of the trap helps confidence.

Have you considered snares if its got a routine shouldnt be that hard to find a suitable spot

I would suggest if at all possible bait it and shoot from upstairs window with .22lr and a sub. Head shot on lawn is v effective.

Foxs traps can work in urban environment, had to deal with a few foxs caught in Larsen traps in my time. Generally the bigger the better and baited, however local moggy population may be an issue.

I think Fourteen acre will stock them and if not provide plans/materials to make a suitable trap.

Good luck.

D

I've got one and I've been pretty successful with it through I think it's bigger than the one you describe, I'm near Burton on Trent if you want to borrow it

Thanks for the help guys, after a bit more research I've found some that are 1.5m long and 45cm wide and high so that sounds more like it!

I'd normally snare but as my dad has multiple dogs and cats that he let's roam around at will as their land is enclosed I don't really want to risk it. Shooting from an upstairs window is plan B so if the trap fails I'll just fall back on that. I've seen cctv footage of it tonight and it's certainly daring. Took a loaf of bread off an outside bench that they were about to rip up for the birds and seems to be about all times of day. Young vixen by the looks of it. Her days are numbered!

My dad is also my boss so I might see about twisting his arm into letting me have a day off work to sort it haha!

Ive never found cage traps that affective for country foxes especialy vixens, urban foxes seem mkre willing to cooperate. Your trap sounds very small i think you would want to be nearer the 2 m mark, free bait in the mouth of the trap helps confidence.

Have you considered snares if its got a routine shouldnt be that hard to find a suitable spot

we have been running a cage trap this year, so far ten foxes and we are no a farm about 2 miles from the village. it was all big cubs but it is still getting them. we have it set up round the bails of wire and thing like that so it doen't look out of place.

Andy7mm

I have a few out at the moment as not very successful mines are about 800 by 800 and maybe 1200 long. Ive had a cub in one two weeks after I put them out but nothing after that.

Gamekeepa feeds do them. They are the ones we use for our business and have never had one get out of one. I've tried them all and this is The best by far. Don't use a slide down door type one as they can hook there paw under it and force it up and you will never get him in there again
these ones have an angle door. Dimensions are 55cmx55cmx120cm long we trap a lot of foxes using these

regards Steve

sorry didnt read that post. but, if its at all possible to contain cats and dogs for a night or two it would be the best option of all-

I was recently told that you don't need bait in a fox trap, just another fox's ****.

What you don't want is fox blood, I'm told.

Fox traps have to be made so that a badger can't destroy them if they get in.

Back