Coming from USA with own guns?

Cootmeurer

I cannot seem to find the web link that details the process for bringing in a personal rifle or shotgun for use. Can someone point me in the correct direction?

Also, on a more complicated subject - Does anyone know the process for importing a semi-automatic shotgun? I know that they have to plugged to hold a maximum of 2 rounds, and I seem to remember that they are treated more as a rifle (temp FAC) than as a shotgun (SG cert). Any information would be appreciated.

Starting to plan my 2018 trip and am likely bringing a few friends along that have never shot outside the US (aside from military duties in unpleasant lands).

You need to ask the estate or agent that you are booking with to apply for a visitors permit from their local Firearms Department it is normally only a formality. I have had to do this many times the FD will want to know where you are going and what you will be doing while you are here. I've never had to ask for one for a section one shotgun though.

You will need a visitors firearm permit for which you will need to be sponsored by a UK resident, basically you will need to make arrangements for where you will be hunting, your accommodation while you are in the UK and the security in place at your UK address.

For those from Europe a European Firearm pass or equivalent is required, when I have applied for permits for clients from the states in the past the police have asked for a character reference from their local chief of police.

Best thing to do is to get whoever is arranging your hunting in the UK is to get them to arrange suitable accommodation and visitors firearm permits, the police from that particular area will let them know what they require regarding references paper work etc.
Should be no problem with bringing semi Auto shotgun provided they are properly plugged and its three not two, only Semi Auto's that take more than three shots are treated like rifles and need to be on a Firearms Certificate.

While you should not find it anymore difficult to bring a suitably plugged Semi into the country than a double barreled shotgun You may find a semi frowned upon on more formal driven type shoots.

Last edited:
Curtis,

You need someone to sponsor you. They have to fill in 4 forms. One blue generic form and with Kent constabulary a further 3 white forms. The cost for each applicant is £20 each. If you have 6 or more it is £100 all in. The sponsor must sign the form and the applicant must not have any criminal convictions.

You must supply the following:
Full name and address
Date of Birth
Height
Occupation
Country of birth
Make of rifle/shotgun
Calibre or rifle/shotgun
Serial number
Amount of ammo you are bringing
A copy of your EU firearms permit, or in your case a copy of your state hunting licence or proof of hunting in the USA.
Doctors name
Doctors address
Doctors phone number.

Once the certificate issued to the sponsor the sponsor then posts it back to the client. On receipt the client must sign the document. You are breaking the law if you do not.
On entry into the UK you will need to go through customs and show the Visitors permit to the customs officer. You will need to do the same thing again on leaving the UK, and in both instances they will check the weapon or weapons against your permit to ensure the same weapon is in the case.

All applicants are checked against the police records and Interpol record

Semi auto rifles are not allowed, and I would doubt you would get a ticket for a semi auto shotgun or pump action. They are not required on formal or non formal shoots in this country. Therefore your bringing one in would be a non starter.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the good information. I remembered most of it, but so far it has only been my brother and myself coming over so SikaMalc and LeviGSP have kept us honest and square with the law.

with a couple potential mates coming along on the next trip I want to help steer them along the right path. The hardest part will seem to be to sort out the shotguns. Most Americans shoot with either a semi-automatic or pump, doubles guns are much more rare. Additionally, are laws usually require a 3 shot limit so I need to query some supply houses like Brownells to see if we can obtain 2 shot plugs.

Magazine plugs will be of no use to you. Magazines need to be crimped and proof marked to indicate that they are permanently restricted.

Thank you all for the good information. I remembered most of it, but so far it has only been my brother and myself coming over so SikaMalc and LeviGSP have kept us honest and square with the law.

with a couple potential mates coming along on the next trip I want to help steer them along the right path. The hardest part will seem to be to sort out the shotguns. Most Americans shoot with either a semi-automatic or pump, doubles guns are much more rare. Additionally, are laws usually require a 3 shot limit so I need to query some supply houses like Brownells to see if we can obtain 2 shot plugs.

The last 2 very good reply's tell you that it is a waste of time in bringing an AUTO SHOT GUN

Either you don't want to listen or are determined to add to your post count....

Auto shot guns are not welcome for driven game if that is you want to shoot, in most cases the shoot would not allow it.

Where they are used is for pigeon shooting (3 shot )

Wildfowling

Clay shooting with only 2 shells ( cartridges ) loaded.

Other discipline's 5 shot are used.

What you do in the US wont apply here so take on board the advice and leave them at home....

Ya all have a nice day...:british:

Tim.243

'Either you don't want to listen or are determined to add to your post count....'

Tim, that's a bit harsh, he hasn't said what he intends to shoot yet, perhaps it is pigeons, wildfowling or even clay pigeons.
As he didn't know about the crimping and proofing perhaps he'll change his mind anyway.
Semi auto and pumps are not uncommon over here so perhaps he could look into borrowing such while here.

'Either you don't want to listen or are determined to add to your post count....'

Tim, that's a bit harsh, he hasn't said what he intends to shoot yet, perhaps it is pigeons, wildfowling or even clay pigeons.
As he didn't know about the crimping and proofing perhaps he'll change his mind anyway.
Semi auto and pumps are not uncommon over here so perhaps he could look into borrowing such while here.

+1

I would have thought the advice from Admin was the best you could get, yet he still asked what are the rules etc

Far better than being stuck a customs...know that would be harsh. Also you cant plug a 5 shot as you well know.

High post counts over take started threads by a country mile.....lol

Tim.243

Curtis,

Leave the pump action and semi auto shotguns in the states. Do not try and bring them into the UK for walked up shooting, its not going to end well. If Frank is organising some bird shooting for you I would borrow shotguns, OR just bring in O/U or Side by side guns.

Curtis,

Leave the pump action and semi auto shotguns in the states. Do not try and bring them into the UK for walked up shooting, its not going to end well. If Frank is organising some bird shooting for you I would borrow shotguns, OR just bring in O/U or Side by side guns.

Thank you Malc. As you have divined, we are looking at a bit of wild fowling, walkup or pigeons up north with Frank before trying to get down your way. I was unaware that UK law would require the permanent damaging of shotguns in order to comply with the law - so that is a non-starter.

As to the shotguns themselves - we will have to begin looking at other arrangements. Of the many multiples of shotguns myself and shooting friends own - we only have 5 doubles, and I own 4 of those. Three are nice enough that I would never trust their transport to the baggage apes.

Dear Curtis,

I hope you and your friends have a great trip to the UK. As you will see, apart from the odd exception as evidenced by one set of poor manners on this thread, we are a welcoming bunch and love to see foreign, particularly American, hunters coming to visit.

Enjoy your hunting.

Kindest regards,

Carl

Having looked at taking guns both UK to US and from the US to the UK - its not worth the hassle for a trip - you would be far better borrowing a gun here.

Regards,

Gixer

Back