Selling farmed but not ear tagged animals?

deerstalker.308

I've been asked by an animal park to cull a small number of their herd of red and fallow deer to keep their numbers reasonably static.
They have not had any vet meds and do not have ear tags, but are enclosed/captive animals.
Where do I stand with this, and also the selling of the carcasses afterwards? Is it a case of treat them as wild and don't worry? I was a little surprised as I thought they would have had to have ear tags? any help appreciated.

Should be ok, BUT I would be careful that none have been jagged at anytime in the past. There should be records kept if you have enclosed deer I would have thought. If anything has been knocked out with immobulon (not correct spelling) it cannot be put in the foodchain.

Thanks Malc, I'm aware of the mobilon issue but I'm a little surprised they seem very lax about it all. I guess this is no different to deer park culling rather than farmed in terms of ear tags etc, they have assured me none have had any vet meds

Thanks Malc, I'm aware of the mobilon issue but I'm a little surprised they seem very lax about it all. I guess this is no different to deer park culling rather than farmed in terms of ear tags etc, they have assured me none have had any vet meds

Farmed deer are always ear tagged (I believe). Park deer, some are tagged, many are not. Either way I would let them dispose of the venison, or at least get a signed declaration from the owners that there is not an issue with the beasts being jagged in the past.

Just to cover your own arse really.

Good luck

Farmed deer are always ear tagged (I believe). Park deer, some are tagged, many are not. Either way I would let them dispose of the venison, or at least get a signed declaration from the owners that there is not an issue with the beasts being jagged in the past.

Just to cover your own arse really.

Good luck

I have asked them for a signed declaration covering that angle (I also am good friends with the vet who would be called to treat them so I'm pretty certain anyway but would definitely want to cover my backside, they want me to dispose of all the carcasses for them as they don't have the means, they want a hitman for hire who can dispose of the evidence!

Farmed deer ie tagged and recorded need an antimortem ( before death) certificate from a vet, however they can be sold as venison regardless of season and usually attract a premium price. Deer without tags ( applies to lots of Park deer) are basically treated as wild animals with all of the regs. ie seasons apply, game dealer regs and carcass tickets. Pretty sure that covers all that would apply to your situation.

There are 2 types of deer "farms". Farmed deer that are tagged, traceable and normally go to an abattoir. "Park" deer on the other hand may be enclosed but are not as intensively managed and are not tagged. The must be culled in accordance with wild deer seasons

Back