Advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just goes to show however trained and qualified persons are the vet should have known about the correct procedure in respect of this and I agree with Malcolm really the the animal should have been destroyed, or at least tagged etc. If it was one of us who made a mistake this serious we would be made a huge example of. I hope the vet concerned gets a proper Snelling and also fined or something to highlight there mistake

regards Steve

Hmm this is a tricky one really.

Anyone who shoots this beast is really not going to have a clue that it has been sedated. I am unsure as to what effect it may have on a human, but I wouldn't want to be the one to try it out.
As it was a wild beast the chances of someone shooting it within a month I suppose are slim, but one never knows, and as the vet told you it would take a month before the drug was completely flushed out of the deer's system, one can only hope that no one grasses it in the meantime.

On the other hand I doubt that anyone would notice a hole in its ear if one was put there by the vet. That's not to knock stalkers, but on last light and a stag down its not something you automatically look for is it?

The beast should have been dispatched really, I suppose, this would have saved a lot of possible issues arising.

Your not wrong fella!

If it was me I wouldn't have got involved, especially by contacting the police. Is it really worth causing a lot of hassle for the vet who just did her best to save the deer.

But if no one got involved (turns out it wasn't just me) what could have happened? Atleast by talking with fellow stalkers in the area they are aware of the situation. Said police officer has asked me a few things in the past and I've helped out a fair bit with various things. And ultimately they were told to shoot the deer anyway however they didn't want it shot so did what they did, possibly should have mentioned that before!

But if no one got involved (turns out it wasn't just me) what could have happened? Atleast by talking with fellow stalkers in the area they are aware of the situation. Said police officer has asked me a few things in the past and I've helped out a fair bit with various things. And ultimately they were told to shoot the deer anyway however they didn't want it shot so did what they did, possibly should have mentioned that before!

Fair enough. I wasn't there and don't know the background at all.

Unfortunately from the original post badly handled. If a vet gives a drug they are responsible for the consequences. They should have observed the animal until fully recovered, obviously impractical in a wild animal.
Most wild deer getting themselves into trouble requiring human intervention go onto die later due to the condition called Capture Myopathy which is poorly understood. So in my opinion most humane course put them down at the time.

morena

Well at the end of the day the vet only did what she thought best for the animal, and the police are hardly trained with this kind of situation. No ones to blame its just an unfortunate circumstances that the poor animal was caught up in fencing in the first place. I hate to think how many deer end up not being found and suffer a slow death caught in fencing or peoples rubbish left in the countryside.

Well at the end of the day the vet only did what she thought best for the animal, and the police are hardly trained with this kind of situation. No ones to blame its just an unfortunate circumstances that the poor animal was caught up in fencing in the first place. I hate to think how many deer end up not being found and suffer a slow death caught in fencing or peoples rubbish left in the countryside.

I'm not blaming the vet at all, I can only imagine the stress she was under especially with the amount of walkers around. Right, I've come to establish there isn't a great deal more I or other stalkers around here can do so would it be possible to lock the thread malc? Many thanks all for suggestions and advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back