FEO wants to clear land.....

Only problem I can see is this, if the land in question is the land you nominate each renewal for your good reason, which is what gives you your open ticket.
Should for some reason this FEO decide it is not suitable, not only will your mate not get his slot, you will no longer be able to use this land as your good reason in the future.

Not sure this is right Neil. Good reason is the requirement to cull the species present.

I agree with Neil. What you have mentioned is only one of the criteria that may need to be satisfied to justify 'good reason'.

I referenced it before but for those who couldn't be bothered to look it up, or who didn't understand it here's what HOG says on the subject:

13.4 Apart from having a “good reason” in principle, an applicant’s reasons for owning firearms
should be genuine..............................
The police will be expected to make reasonable inquiries to verify the applicant’s
“good reason” for the possession of firearms. This may include:

i. a request for written authorities where relevant (and possible).
ii. verification of the likelihood of the quarry species being present.
iii. the suitability of land for the firearms requested commensurate with the
applicant’s experience.

iv. their authority to shoot on the land; and,
v. in the case of target shooters: verification of club membership and shooting activities.
vi. in the case of collectors: activity, including academic research, membership of
recognised bodies etc.

The possession of open or closed FACs by either party has no bearing on the situation - the police may very well be looking to satisfy iii above.

willowbank ,if you friend has an open ticket for his 22.250 then all his has to do is say he wants the 243 for foxing and a o l q, as he wishes to use 70 gr and up for foxing at longer distance or when it is windy.you may be treading into a large pile of sh..e trying to help a friend.feo as a different breed of human.

Willowbank

Would it be an idea to ring your firearms enquiry officer who issued your FAC and cleared the land for you and ask them to contact 'his' FEO then it may well be a case that a site visit isn't needed???

I applied for a FAC and had my visit last week, I was very much expecting to show the FEO my permission as this is a grant and I'll have a closed ticket, but they never asked??

Last edited:
Would it be an idea to ring your firearms enquiry officer who issued your FAC and cleared the land for you and ask them to contact 'his' FEO then it may well be a case that a site visit isn't needed???

No indication that the land in question has ever been or needed inspection. Don't forget that the OP has an 'open' ticket. ;)

Not sure this is right Neil. Good reason is the requirement to cull the species present.

That establishes good reason, however your home ground needs to be cleared for your calibre's, or you won't get your ticket in the first place.

Neil.

That establishes good reason, however your home ground needs to be cleared for your calibre's, or you won't get your ticket in the first place.

Neil.

Not in Wiltshire, my 'home ground' is all of 12 acres and cleared for WMR, I am on an open ticket and have no worries come renewal that I will keep hold of my 6.5x55. all else aside the land is suitable for a bigger calibre but I have it in writing (after a similar thread) that as an open cert' holder I don't need cleared land for my deer cal's.

I think if the OP's land was marginal, flat, public access, near population etc. I would be dubious if I were him regards getting it cleared for someone else, if the police deem it unsuitable it at best complicates things for himself come renewal or as someone pointed out with insurance.

If the OP is confident the ground is safe and suitable, undulating, plenty f safe back stops, large acreage with limited public access then I don't see an issue.

I have read on some threads about high seats not being taking into consideration, they aren't a permanent feature and there is no guarantee an inexperienced shot will use them. once the land is cleared its cleared, if it's flat and the current shooter uses high seats and the FEO clears it on that basis, say 15 years down the line when that shooter has long given up shooting, sold and removed his seats. Somone else applies, the land is still cleared and there's nothing to stop an experienced shot taking unsuitable prone shots, the FEO's name is still against it as having cleared it!

In this case if the OP's mate has an open certificate for 22-250 then there is no reason why he shouldn't have a deer cal' on an open certificate, if he has applied for .243 the cartridges are pretty similar ballistically so if he's safe with one he'll be safe with the other, get his shooting organisation involved if needs be.

Last edited:
Care to let us in on what the outcome was? Land cleared? Open cert for all calibres etc?

Well after the FEO had a white knuckle ride with me around the land in the Defender he passed it with no reservations for .30 cal. My friend who had put in for a Deer cal now has his cert conditioned for Deer which will be opened after 12 months with me. So all in all happy days, I don't know why you were worried lol.

Willowbank.

Not in Wiltshire, my 'home ground' is all of 12 acres and cleared for WMR, I am on an open ticket and have no worries come renewal that I will keep hold of my 6.5x55. all else aside the land is suitable for a bigger calibre but I have it in writing (after a similar thread) that as an open cert' holder I don't need cleared land for my deer cal's.

That's interesting. You've said 'come renewal', does that mean that you've not yet been through a renewal cycle for the 6.5x55? What will you put on the Form 201 in the section on page 3 where it requests "Reason e.g. Target, vermin (please provide land/club details)". I can't see "because I have an open certificate" as satisfying either of the requested criteria. As the holder of an 'open' FAC you, and many of us as well, do not require cleared land to shoot over, but to satisfy the 'good reason' for a specific firearm at initial application, renewal or variation is another matter. If the FLD wish to follow the HOG 13.4 to establish 'good reason' for each firearm requested, then cleared land suitable for each rifle may be a requirement.

In this case if the OP's mate has an open certificate for 22-250 then there is no reason why he shouldn't have a deer cal' on an open certificate, if he has applied for .243 the cartridges are pretty similar ballistically so if he's safe with one he'll be safe with the other, get his shooting organisation involved if needs be.

If the FLD want him (the mate) to establish 'good reason' for possession of a larger deer calibre as per all of the criteria of HOG 13.4, then there may be the requirement to provide evidence of "the suitability of land for the firearms requested commensurate with the applicant’s experience". Possession of an existing 'open' FAC for other firearms/purposes is then irrelevant.

Back