Thread: How's About That Then !

How's About That Then !

Recently applied for a 1 for 1 Variation to my FAC from my .243 to a new .308 as doing more red stalking than vermin control. Sent in my Variation and unfortunately due to the incident in Cumbria same week was told they had to check my permissions. Checks done, local FAO advised that vermin ground not suitable for .308, so had to modify Variation to keep .243 and add new .308.

FAC arrives and expected condition on regarding .308 use for deer only or not to be used on vermin permission. Only condition on FAC is that I require Land Owner's permission to use the above mentioned firearms.

So by the terms of my FAC I can use it on the vermin permission, however, might be in hot water if I did with the local FAO- I ask you !!!

I don't get it!!!...

did you explain that although a .308 is capable of propelling a 180grn bullet in excess of 2600ft/sec, it is still around 600ft/sec slower than a .243 with a bullet half the weight at 90grns. Is he saying that the backstops you are using for your .243 aren't good enough to stop a .308..???
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Quote Originally Posted by firsttimer View Post
    Checks done, local FAO advised that vermin ground not suitable for .308, so had to modify Variation to keep .243 and add new .308.
    So effectively they've made you acquire another firearm for no good reason - so that's an extra one in use that didn't have to be. Almost beyond belief isn't it.

FAC arrives and expected condition on regarding .308 use for deer only or not to be used on vermin permission. Only condition on FAC is that I require Land Owner's permission to use the above mentioned firearms.
    Sounds good - you've now got an 'open' ticket by the looks of it and, as you say, can go and use the .308 on the ground he originally refused it for. Do these morons have any sense at all? My local FEO actually admitted to me recently that he had little idea about firearms. Errrr.............. so why are you doing the job then?
    Last edited by Orion; 14-08-2010 at 14:36.

Si

Because he associates the .308 with Red deer and there is only roe and charlies on the permission he was vetting he would not permit it. However, as I say the HQ did not follow through on his advice (right or wrong advice) and I have an open ticket

Account Suspended
    The whole system makes no sence to me. It's like putting someone who has read "The Home Doctor" run a casualty department, they employ people making what to us are important decisions and they don't know one end of a gun from another. It's like letting pilots service aircraft, they break them we fix them.