Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommended .308 ammunition for minimal carcass damage.

Recommended .308 ammunition for minimal carcass damage.

Hello everyone,

I'll be picking up a new .308 soon. I shoot mostly roe with the occasional fallow and muntjac. I was intending to buy a selection of ammo to see which grouped the best. I appreciate rifles have individual tastes but can I have some recommendations for minimal carcass damage please?

Bestman

Good question, Sierra Gameking or Nosler B'Tips in 150gr would be my preffered choice since at sensible speeds they have moderate but effective expansion. But off shots with any bullet will mess things up a bit and avoid any standard contruction hollow points because the are shocking.

They are both stunning all rounders and have been very good up to reds and sika for me.

I have to agree with Paul on this one. I also used 180 BT on red but have reverted back to 150's

i use 125gn ballistic tips but they do damage, especially roe if you clip a shoulder. 150gn soft points driven slowly do the job well, but cause less damage/bruising even when going through the shoulder. i've used 110gn spire points on munty, roe and fallow and found them to do a lot less damage than the 125 b-tips, even though they were travelling faster (3100 fps). i like the flatter shooting bullets and accept the damage.

I should add I don't currently roll my own. Many thanks for the replies so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Offroad Gary View Post
    i use 125gn ballistic tips but they do damage, especially roe if you clip a shoulder. 150gn soft points driven slowly do the job well, but cause less damage/bruising even when going through the shoulder. i've used 110gn spire points on munty, roe and fallow and found them to do a lot less damage than the 125 b-tips, even though they were traveling faster (3100 fps). i like the flatter shooting bullets and accept the damage.
    ..and the grizzly spectacle of running deer you will not see. And what is damage? It's the same bullet at the same speed. Damage is the same whether it is a muntjac or a red deer, just the (potentially) percentage of damaged meat changes. Nosler BTs are the choice if your interest is humanity, rather than nth venison yield.
    Last edited by KevinF; 18-08-2010 at 20:19.
    KevinF -

I'm not seeking to avoid a normal level of damage, I find 120 grain norma BTs in 6.5 perfectly acceptable. I just want to avoid the appalling damage I have experienced with Winchester BSTs (the only thing my last .308 would group with)

180 graine Brenneke TUG or RWS UNI geschoss ( new name ) . 99,99999999% sure that dammage will be minimal. Exit holes 2 or 3 times calibre size are the rule. On the shoulder or behind, it doesn't realy matter. Excellent bullet for any game.

Don't RWS need you to take out mortgage protection before you buy a box.....

Norma Oryx 180grn i use it on every thing. Very little meat damage whether its roe or moose.