Frontline

Gm81

I have used frontline spot on treatment on all of my dogs.
My spaniel is 8yrs old and always had it. The last treatment burnt him. Lucky I noticed it didn't look right it was looking wrong and he wasn't comfy.
I washed it off with a load of water. So he managed to keep his fur but had a large scab for weeks.
The he has had it out of the same packet and my GWP was ok. But I'm not keen to do it again.
Any other alternatives that are any good?
Let me know,
cheers.

Use Bravecto on our Springers. It's guaranteed against flea and ticks and lasts 12 weeks. Comes in tablet form.

I find a few ticks on them but they are always dead and I walk them in places where there's a fair few ticks.

Downside is it's about £30 per tablet from the vet. Need to look into getting it online.

The burn sounds horrendous. I stopped using Frontline on our springers because it stopped killing the fleas. We went on to Nexgard tablets which are by the same company Merrial (sp?)

They are good for 4 weeks for fleas and 6 for ticks I think. Haven't got a pack to check with at the moment.

The only ticks I have found on them have been embedded but none of them have been engorged, they get killed almost immediately...with Frontline they often had time to fill up.

The tablet form is an improvement, especially great in the winter months...although Frontline was water fast after 48 hours, keeping a springer out of wet grass for a couple of days was impossible!

I get the impression that the price is set so that they all cost about the same per month.

Alan

Seresto dog collar lasts 6 months I think and can get for around £35 if you look
Flea and tick ....and know few others ( gamekeepers ) who highly rate them

Paul

Ok, thanks for this.
I don't get to many ticks. Only when in Scotland really. But I handle the dogs that much I generally find them. But they have started to fill by this time.
Then I have had 1 flea in his life on the spaniel. None of either on the GWP.
Whether that is due to prevention who knows.
I will look into this. At least with tablets and collars he won't get burnt. I'm not willing to do this to any animal again.

Last edited:
All of the above are prescription based. Even the collar. So a call to the vets to see about costs and how much a prescription charge is.
Someone in a review had a good idea, get them to write it out while having boosters. Then buy online.
Thank you all for your help.

Gaz

+1 for Bravecto. I switched from Frontline after reading reports on here and it does seem to be an improvement

I stopped using Frontline last year as it became ineffective against fleas - I now use Nexgard Spectra as it also treats ticks, intenstinal worms and heartworm. Haven't seen a flea since.

I used to use Frontline but it was not 100% effective and has been usurped by better products of late. Bravecto has proved good but upsets the stomach of one of our cockers. I have tried collars for the first time this year with her (the Seresto brand that my in laws use on their spaniels and terriers in the Highlands) and she has had not one (live) tick on her Vs one found on the others using Bravecto.

She has managed to pull the collar off once in cover but they are white so we found it. They are stretchy so designed to come off before they ever get hung up.

Given the costs I will use the Seresto collars on all of them next year. Mine have never had fleas.

I used to use Frontline but it was not 100% effective and has been usurped by better products of late. Bravecto has proved good but upsets the stomach of one of our cockers. I have tried collars for the first time this year with her (the Seresto brand that my in laws use on their spaniels and terriers in the Highlands) and she has had not one (live) tick on her Vs one found on the others using Bravecto.

She has managed to pull the collar off once in cover but they are white so we found it. They are stretchy so designed to come off before they ever get hung up.

Given the costs I will use the Seresto collars on all of them next year. Mine have never had fleas.

Was the upset out of the rear end? How long did the upset last?
can the collars be used when needed? So if we are going to known tick places, put them on the dogs a week before then until a week after.
Im not keen on collars from the fact of if they are swimming and they get a paw stuck or caught on branches. It was something I was told when I was a kid with my first dog. Stays with you I guess true or not.
Cheers

I stopped using Frontline last year as it became ineffective against fleas - I now use Nexgard Spectra as it also treats ticks, intenstinal worms and heartworm. Haven't seen a flea since.

Plus one on the NEXGUARD - has been very good for the past 2 years on our lab.

I am using vectra prescription only spot on. Works fine, and is safe for my pup too.
We had a lot of ticks this year and the dogs have held up:)

I have changed from the "spot on" type, to tablets for my 4yr old Weimaraner.
So he has monthly tablets for tick/fleas, and for worms.
Seems to be fine with them.
Although the collar mentioned earlier would be ok. When my dog is hunting with me he gets well into the hedges, gorse, and bramble.
I would be worried if he had the collar, that he could get entangled, or injured if the collar got caught up.

Back