Sako super-hammerheads

huntsman

Got some of these recently from local dealer in 150 gr 308 win , very happy with results against paper. Shot this group today off the sticks at 92m . Anyone got any experience of these as an all round deer cartridge? My worry is I will just get pass through and runners! Your experiences are appreciated.

IMG_3035.jpg

Thanks

George used them in the past and they seemed ok. Quite accurate also further out. I recon fine for the stags now but could be a bit hard for a calf later on I don't know. Recon in the Lap Mega class.
Did you chrony it yet? I found Sako ammo to be very slow, at least the 243 stuff we tested.
edi

Thanks Edi , that's what I was thinking myself. Accurate, available and affordable so hopefully they do the business.
kenbro , as edi says useful way of levelling the vertical and horizontal crosshairs . I think the bench rest targets are like this with the square underneath , where the bullet lands on the target doesn't matter as long as there all in the one hole.
(By the way the picture is rotated )

I often draw an L on the target to aim. easy to sit your crosshair into the corner. Much better repeatability than trying to guess the centre of a circle or dot.

Definitely, for precise shooting I always use a square box target to shoot at, rather than a circle or dot.

You can then settle the crosshairs onto a corner very repeatably.

I've been using the Sako super Hammerhead in .308 in 150 and 123gr on fallow for a few years now. I find them to be a consistent round with great accuracy and penetration. My I've never chrono'd them through. My Sako's rifles love them, and I've never had a complaint from the deer I've shot at as not one has lived to tell me their views!
The one slight challenege according to our local RFD is getting them in any consistent supply. It seems Sako are getting sucked into supplying the US market, a FAR bigger and therefore desireable market for them than the tiny UK market.
Tayles

I use Sako 223 Arrowhead for foxing and 243 Gamehead for deer. Both give great accuracy/stopping power. Minimal carcase damage on Roe and Munty from a 243

I've used the 150g 308s on munties, CWD, roe & fallow & they have been extremely effective with boiler room shots. Meat damage is minimal which surprised me, particularly on the smaller deer. They hit hard & most deer drop on the spot, the few that have run a short distance left a clear blood trail.

Use 150g super hammers in 308, good on fallow, red & roe with okay expansion. Found prvi 150g soft point better expansion and for blood trials, as accurate plus lower cost.

I've used the 150g 308s on munties, CWD, roe & fallow & they have been extremely effective with boiler room shots. Meat damage is minimal which surprised me, particularly on the smaller deer. They hit hard & most deer drop on the spot, the few that have run a short distance left a clear blood trail.

+1 for roe, munties and reds (calves and hinds).

F0B15124-42C0-4AC6-AC6E-510FF97DF05D.jpeg20A23FC4-9CCF-41FF-AA8A-240E398F3548.jpeg

This is one which was recovered from a fallow doe. A 180 yd quartering shot behind the shoulder ,straight line pass through , recovered after fracturing the opposite hind leg.
Bullet 150gr 308 win - super hammerhead , this weighed in at 131.6 or graiins 87.7 % retention. Very impressed.

I have struggled to find 308 Super Hammerheads in stock at SGC I would really like to try them out, both 150 & 180's. Anybody used them in a Howa 308?

Back