Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Demise of the bulletproof buck

Demise of the bulletproof buck

Many thanks to all on here who pointed me in the direction of John Robson of Yorkshire Roe Stalking. I had my first stalk with him this morning and managed to shoot a real beauty who had managed to avoid 5 rounds over the last fortnight. John was beginning to think he was bulletproof and seriously considered leaving him be if he managed to avoid round 6. Fortunately for me it all came good this morning. We were on the ground a little before 6am and after a careful search he stopped us and suggested we set up on some headland overlooking a set aside field. We hadn't been there 3 minutes when he jumped over the fence to our right and made his way on across the field to the far hedge. He wouldn't stop to whistle or bark initially but stopped short of the hedge just long enough for me to squeeze the shot off. The speed of events didn't allow for the shakes till after the shot which is why he's now in the chiller! Johns dog Breeze didn't take long to mark the old fella who had made the hedge in a last attempt at freedom. To say I'm pleased just doesn't do it but all who have culled their first buck know how I feel at the moment! He would be about 5 or 6 years old and had 7 points (the 7th being a 3rd antler) A moment to be savoured for life accompanied by a strange sense of sadness to have ended the life of such a marvellous creature. I've taken up deer stalking late as something for me after years of foxing and predator control. I think you may just see me back again. Heartfelt thanks to John Robson and Breeze for a lifechanging morning and commiserations to the old buck who left his bulletproof vest at home. Amen!

Well this morning time ran out for him 5.53a.m. at 120m's.
    This was your first deer as well, turned out to be an old warrior with a torn ear and x3 antlers = 7 points.
    and 5 lives.
    again my master copy of the video is very good quality photobucket upload crap as usual.

Last edited by www.yorkshireroestalking.; 14-08-2010 at 12:27.

nice one an lovely animal as a first of many i think all the best,wayne

im not trying to start a war here im only asking but what sort of backstop was there behind the buck?

Hi John,

Is this the one Malcolm and I saw but couldnt get in range of?

Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Morgy View Post
    Hi John,

Is this the one Malcolm and I saw but couldnt get in range of?

Guy
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitmaster View Post
    im not trying to start a war here im only asking but what sort of backstop was there behind the buck?
    No war, why nit pick???( some people just have to have a go)...... GET A LIFE MATE I am a professional and if you think I would allow some one to take a shot with out a backstop then more FOOL you.
    A large hawthorn hedge in front of a 12 ft bank of clay. If you watch the video again you will see the small trees growing on top of it.
    Last edited by www.yorkshireroestalking.; 14-08-2010 at 18:37.

I didnt mean it in a sarcastic way it was a genuine question i just wanted to know what the backstop was as i couldnt see it sorry if it sounded like i was nit picking.

A nice first beast and well shot!!

All the best!

243sako

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitmaster View Post
    I didnt mean it in a sarcastic way it was a genuine question i just wanted to know what the backstop was as i couldnt see it sorry if it sounded like i was nit picking.
    Well saftey isn't nit picking I suppose but you come on here with a couple of posts and ask stupid questions.
    There are many very wise stalkers on here and you could learn alot.
    One hint from me is don't rub em up by asking silly questions.
    regards john.