Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: woodland red deer question?

woodland red deer question?

HI THERE

were abouts in britain, would you say has the largest and heavy antlered red stags?

would it be in the south of england? or up in the scottish forests?

thanks dan

Im sure there are bigger stags in the native woods in England
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Thetford Forest area has the heaviest body weights without a shadow of a doubt and before anyone says Exmoor, that's untrue!! As for antlers, they are also exceptional with animals reaching 'Royal' status in their third year. Groups of 20-30 point animals are quite common!
    The Breckland Reds are massive in comparison to the Scottish reds. In fact the average mature hind is bigger than most Scottish stags.
    MS

Deffinately get bigger bodied stags and hinds down in the forests of southern England.
    But never the less you will still get some big old boys in Scotland!

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Thetford Forest area has the heaviest body weights without a shadow of a doubt and before anyone says Exmoor, that's untrue!! As for antlers, they are also exceptional with animals reaching 'Royal' status in their third year. Groups of 20-30 point animals are quite common!
    The Breckland Reds are massive in comparison to the Scottish reds. In fact the average mature hind is bigger than most Scottish stags.
    MS
    can anyone recomend a stalker in that area? who can take me on a stalk after a big stag?

thanks dan

My guess would be the New Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    MS
    How big are we talking MS?
    "Imagine you're a deer. You're prancing along, you get thirsty, you spot a little brook, you put your little deer lips down to the cool clear water... BAM! A f**kin bullet rips off part of your head! Your brains are laying on the ground in little bloody pieces! Now I ask ya. Would you give a f**k what kind of pants the son of a bitch who shot you was wearing?"

The Norfolk area probably has the best chance of producing a very large stag in terms of a combination of antler and body size as there are good numbers of big stags there although the best officially recorded from there would only rank maybe 4th in the UK CIC scores. The UK record is from Yorkshire, it superceded a West Country stag and I believe the 3rd ranked stag was also from the West Country. The biggest West Country stags are not on Exmoor but in the more fertile farming areas not too far away.

The New Forest has big stags for pretty much the same reason as Norfolk which is that the original stock had Warnham or deer park origins but there is virtually no availability on a New Forest stag. In terms of body weights I don't know how big the Thetford stags go but stags of 500lbs are not unknown in the SW England.

The other area with some big animals is the Peak District but may be not quite up to the standards of Norfolk and the West Country
    Last edited by paul k; 14-08-2010 at 22:12.

Peter purse glove in the middlands is were you will get a very large animal. This was the smaller one of a group of three the middle one got eaten
    But if you are wanting an animal that is at its phisical peak then you need to leave the fat english alone and head to the hills of northan scotland.

If you wanted the experince of hunting the scottish way and wanted test your fitness, the isle of Arran has some of the biggest bodied Stags in the west of scotland, Dougarie http://www.dougarie.com/sports.php or Sannox estates. I took a stag of the north east of the isle with a client that weighed in at 350lbs.

Its a magic place during the rut even if you are not hunting.
    Last edited by Huntingstella; 15-08-2010 at 07:29.