Thread: Parker Hale Mounts

Parker Hale Mounts

I have a Parker Hale 2600 Safari that I want to change the mounts on.

The current mounts are marked A39 and A40. I want to change then for either a picatinny rail or at least replace then with mounts that allow me to use standard sized rings.

Has anyone got anything or can someone point me in the right direction.

Cheers
    Mark

Hiya Mark

I've recently had the same problem with a BSA fitted with PH mounts. Luckily people on here were able to point me in the right direction. But in my case it was the location of the mounting screw holes that were the important thing - as i would suspect in most cases. I found a Remmy 700 had the same format and used that type of mounts . However I also took the gun to the CLA Game fair to see if anyone had anything that might fit. So, if you get no specific advice on here (which would surprise me cos there's a wealth of knowledge and the peeps on here are very free with it and helpful) my advice would be to go to your friendly gun dealer and see if he can find anything to fit.

All the best mate and welcome to SD

Scrun (aka Andrew)

hi mate i have a parker and hale which had the wrong mounts on i baught a set of leupold bases and mounts i got mine off these they are standard mounts and bases i got medium height and seem perfect,wayne.
    LEUPOLD MOUNTS

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie Mark View Post

The current mounts are marked A39 and A40. I want to change then for either a picatinny rail or at least replace then with mounts that allow me to use standard sized rings.

Cheers
    Mark
    OK Mark,

Firstly I would check that rifle over very carefully. Sorry to be the bearing of bad tiding but what you have is a rifle made up from Parker-Hale parts by Gibbs rifle co of America and their quality was very iffy. From what I have gathered the first batch they made up failed proof miserably. Gibbs brought a lot of P-H parts they also brought the rights to the Muzzle loaders but it seems they thought they had brought the whole company. Not so the centre fire line was acquired by Bremmer Arms under the Modular Industries banner.

Leupold are probably your best bet but don't be surprised if they require fitting to be a perfect fit on the rifle. As I said Gibbs quality was shockingly bad on a lot of them. I have the Gibbs rifle company brochure here. brought from the US. It was founded in 1991 and was gone by 93. Does that tell you anything? In those two years they did horrendous damage to the P-H name in the US. it seems it was some dodgey dealing all round and Bremmer had to close down quick to avoid law suits. Oh yes weaver might list mounts for them but the same applies as I'll wager the action profiles will vary if Gibbs did them.

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie Mark View Post

Cheers
    Mark
    Hi my dad has a new Ken Farell picatiny (0-MOA) rail for a long action PH-safari. Its never been used & was for a 270 100 P&P to you if you want. With the rail you could use any mounts after that you want. My dad is to busy with work & other hobbies ie his boat that he hasent been out shooting for years.

Quote Originally Posted by v-max View Post
    Hi my dad has a new Ken Farell picatiny (0-MOA) rail for a long action PH-safari. Its never been used & was for a 270 100 P&P to you if you want. With the rail you could use any mounts after that you want. My dad is to busy with work & other hobbies ie his boat that he hasent been out shooting for years.
    Sorry but I don't like those things they look damned ugly and in all honesty the prices they want for them are a right rip off. Thanks but no thanks I will stick with normal mounts on mine.. Hmm come to think of it a Safari is one I don't have either. Mine are 1100's and 1200's. Got a bit of a way to go to complete the line up. Heck I have not finished with the 1200's yet. Got no magnums in 1200 and that was the model 1200M. do have a 1200TX coming which has the third mount on the barrel for teh long target scopes like Lyman, Unertl and Fekker.

OK sorted it now. If anyone else is stuck then the Weaver mounts # 75 and 71 are perfect replacements. They are less than 10 for the pair and then the world is you oyster for the rings.

BH

whilst the Ken Farrell base may not be "aesthetically pleasing", they are a quality piece of workmanship.

Far better made than some aluminium alternatives.

One could argue that fitting a one piece rail to the PH would stiffen the action somewhat - espacially a long action.

I agree that on a PH these rails may look out of place - so do scopes with 30 mm tubes (IMHO)

A better alternative may be to have quality rings soldered to the action body - saves on the stripped scews one tends to find on the examples ive seen recently......

Hmmm you must have found some right ham fisted buggers then.. or I have have been extremely lucky as I have found none stripped. My guess is that folks are trying to screw the wrong size and pitch screws in

I agree that on a PH these rails may look out of place - so do scopes with 30 mm tubes (IMHO)
    Funny you should mention that as somewhere if I can locate them after the move. There is a pair of the ultra rare P-H 30 mm rings that I took off the 1100 DeLuxe. It came with a Tasco Titan 3-9x42 scope on it. It did not look bad on the 30-06 to be honest. Sweated on bases may be an option but not the first one.

Now as to the Original Post.. Weaver #75 & #71 shows as I suspected it's not a P-H rifle at all. The Weaver bases for the 1000, 1100, 1200 and 1300 Mauser 98 type actions are '45 & #46. the older Safari models might use the #55 & #46. I would hazard a guess that the action on the 2600 is a re-hashed Midland one. However never having seen a 2600 close up I cannot be sure. Glad you got it sorted out.