Humane dispatch ----urgent

Peter Eaton

Hi can anyone tell me if its legal to dispatch a cow with a shotgun that is lame and lay in a yard?

I know I cant do this with a rifle as it breaches conditions..is it possible to do it with a shotgun?

I know its not possible to do it with a shotgun for a healthy cow as I asked DEFRA this last year and know you have to be licenced to do this with a captive bolt gun.

Cheers

pete

Difficult ground there mate, I had to stand by & watch a cow suffer in agony after doing the splits on a yard two weeks ago, the farmer was indecisive as if destroyed by other than a licensed slaughterman it cannot enter the food chain, I would say that if the owner of the animal gives permission on the grounds of ending suffering, (although lameness wouldn't come close) you would not be prosecuted, shotguns are used by the police for head shots with slug in close range situations, you really need the services of a vet, who can either treat or advise destruction. .............. the cow I would have shot had she been mine, expired after some excruciating pain over 45 minutes later when her heart gave out.:cry:

Hi Fin

thanks for your reply. I just turned the farmer away and he understood as I told him it was a bit of a grey area and neither of us needed any come back from it, so the poor cow is suffering till he can get someone out to do the job. I was told by a couple of guys I know that they have humane dispatch on their FACs (though I have not seen their certificates) but even if they did have such a condition, it would be a rather dubious conditon and open to interpretation I feel. I am wondering if it is possible to get solid slug put onto my FAC for use with my shotgun? That way I may be able to help the farmers in the future? Can anyone shed any light on this one please? Be good to get this cleared up as when a farmer is asking you to help with a animal thats suffering theres quite a bit of pressure on you.

Pete

I think it is ridiculous that you cant dispatch a poorly animal because it is not written on your license.

Surely no force would try a prosecution should it ever come to it?

If you do ever have to do it then draw an imaginery line from ear to eye then other ear to other eye, where the two lines cross is the sweet spot ;)

Dan, there is the added complication that the animal is in law, a domesticated animal, whereas we normally deal with wild stock, I have humane despatch on my B.A.S.C. insurance at no extra cost (just ask them to update your details), your F.A.C. is a different matter,...............also using a shotgun with solid shot / slug requires the correct choke / barrel configuration.

I thought it was legal for a farmer to kill animals if it's for their own consumption or for the well being of the animal.
I do loads for farmers without a problem.

I have used shotguns for humane despatch over the years. All of them do the job, as a lad in the local slaughterhouse we always used a 410 on the bulls. A twenty does the job, Dan Gs where the correct place to shoot, is spot on. However, don't put the gun to its head, hold off an inch or so or you will blow the barrel up. Interestingly, I have just had a variation on my FAC had have just noticed that they have removed what I have alwys had which is "the humane killing of animals and the shooting of animals for the protection of other animals or humans" must check that out.

Hi les

I was asked to shoot a bull for a farmer once for his own consumption, but when I looked into it I wasnt allowed to . First thing was my FAC didnt have cows on it...as species specific.Also when I contacted defra they said for normal dispatch of livestock you must do a slaughtermans course ...if I recall part of this was to do witnessed killings and then you can be signed off. You also have to have a captive bolt stunner,I believe the animal must be bled to death after that has been used? It really is a minefield. I have just sent the humane slaughter society an email today to see if they can clear it up as such. Surley there is something that says if you see an animal suffering you can end its misery? I am lucky in the fact the farmer today understood , but I am sure , and I mean no disrespect when I say many farmers would quite rightly think, ..this guy shoots my land but wont help when I need a cow dispatching...

Trouble is both we shooters and the farmers must watch our backs as there as so many out there who would jump at the chance to throw the book at us if we made a genuine mistake through kindess and compassion.

pete

your F.A.C. is a different matter,...............also using a shotgun with solid shot / slug requires the correct choke / barrel configuration.

Solid slug shouldn't be a problem to get on your FAC if you have 'good reason'.

The 'Brenneke' and Foster type ones are good to fire from most barrels even choked ones - the 'fins' on the slug are not to impart spin but to decrease the bearing surface/friction in the barrel and also to squash down to allow it to pass through the choke. Sabot slugs however should only be fired through dedicated slug guns with rifled barrels.

I've just bought some S&B slugs for £17 a box of 25 - they work very well.

Get your local hunt out! Their knackerman will come and shoot it with a pistol or bolt gun and take it away to be eaten or incinerated.

I do quite a lot with local hunts so if you want any help please let me know.

I was told that despatch to prevent suffering with a shotgun would be acceptable providing the animal was killed outright. You can't let an animal suffer when it will not recover but likewise you can't make it suffer through your actions of a ineffective shot..

if you are shooting it from inches away there is no need for a single slug as it will not kill it anymore dead than a normal cartridge from that range.The cartridge would not have opened up and would be just like a slug but less chance of mishaps and damn sight less chance of a dangerous ricochet.As already stated even a 410 at close range is more than adequate

What's the thoughts on claiming the 'Nuremburg Defence' on anything that might arise from dealing with an RTA/humane kill where police are in attendance?

IF you are requested to deal with the matter by the police and you get a quick signature to that effect in your notebook, (plus the incident number), would you be indemnified by them?

EDIT: Should have posted this on the 'RTA' thread! :oops: Please ignore.

Last edited:
The humane shooting of farm animals with a shotgun is perfectly legal. Do not confuse humane dispatch with slaughtering. Once killed though it would be illegal for the meat to enter the food chain for sale.

I regularly shoot stock and although all my rifles are so conditioned and I have slugs on my fac my preferred method is a shotgun with an ordinary cartridge. Hold the barrel a few inches away and all you will have is a neat hole in the center of its head.

I would recommend a 12 bore for adult cows and bulls and a .410 for sheep and calves.

Im a skilled slaughterman and do a fair bit of Home kill,you may be suprised how far a 12 bore will do the job..

Captive bolts are no longer licenced.....

Nell

I think it is ridiculous that you cant dispatch a poorly animal because it is not written on your license.

Surely no force would try a prosecution should it ever come to it?

If you do ever have to do it then draw an imaginery line from ear to eye then other ear to other eye, where the two lines cross is the sweet spot ;)

I'm with dan on this one, maybe it's just diferent police forces but I wouldn't think Northern would even question it.
I've killed quite a few beasts for farmers in the past and a general no.5 or 6 cartridge will do the job with ease, with sheep I use a .22, I've asked my firearms dept about it and they are happy enough.

A few years back we were killing deer in a catcher and DCS did question the use of a .22, we had discussions with SNH, DCS and SSPCA as well as the police and they were more than happy with the use of a silenced .22 both on H&S and welfare.

I contacted my Licensing people who said the removal of the humane despatch and for protection of humans etc: was removed quite deliberately. If I want this put on it is done as a variation and a specific weapon is named (not ammunition). When asked what if animal is happened across by chance and is suffering the answer was you can shoot it. This must be random and rare, not doing in on a regular basis. Shotgun is OK in these circumstnces as well. HOWEVER, it all seemed a bit vague so as I get requests for this perhaps two or three times a year I shall get a variation to cover it.
Also it was said that should a policeman appear at the scene and asked if you had authority to carry out the killing and you had no authority you could open up a can of worms!!!!!

I contacted my Licensing people who said the removal of the humane despatch and for protection of humans etc: was removed quite deliberately. If I want this put on it is done as a variation and a specific weapon is named (not ammunition). When asked what if animal is happened across by chance and is suffering the answer was you can shoot it. This must be random and rare, not doing in on a regular basis. Shotgun is OK in these circumstnces as well. HOWEVER, it all seemed a bit vague so as I get requests for this perhaps two or three times a year I shall get a variation to cover it.
Also it was said that should a policeman appear at the scene and asked if you had authority to carry out the killing and you had no authority you could open up a can of worms!!!!!

The wording on mine was the same as yours ,and has also been removed

Back