Contract

6pointer

Tenders Scotland

DEER CONTROL CONTRACTS

Pre-Qualification Questionnaires are invited from individuals or companies who can provide deer culling services to protect forests and other habitats on the National Forest Estate in Dumfries & Borders Forest District.
Deer culling service to include roe and sika deer and to extract and deliver to Forestry Commission deer larders to Scottish Wild Venison Quality Assurance Scheme standards. Prospective candidates must hold the following qualification/criteria:
DSC Level 1 (with Large Game Meat Regulations update).
DSC Level 2.
Be registered Fit and Competent with Deer Commission Scotland.
Have a deer legal firearm with a sound moderator fitted.
Evidence of Commercial/Business Insurance.
Manual Handling Certification.
Basic First Aid Certification.
ATV/Quad Certification if use is intended.
£119,000.00 (Two Lots @ approximately £17,850.00 and £5,950.00 per annum).
The anticipated commencement date will be on 01/10/2010 for LOT 1 and a date to be determined by Forestry Commission Scotland for LOT 2 with completion by 30/06/2011 with the possibility of extensions for a further period, in 1 year increments, of up to four years, to be reviewed annually (1+1+1+1+1). Forestry Commission Scotland reserves the right to adjust the commencement date for each lot as required.
The estimated contract cull is:
LOT 1 - 210 deer per annum (subject to adjustment by Wildlife Ranger Manager to conform to District Deer Management Policy).
LOT 2 – 70 deer per annum (subject to adjustment by Wildlife Ranger Manager to conform to District Deer Management Policy).
Pre-Qualification Questionnaire to be returned by 3rd September 2010. All question and answers raised that affect this PQQ will be published on the website by the 27th August. No further question will be answered after this date.
The Closing date for queries is 27th August.
For further enquiries regarding this contract please contact John Cadman, Wildlife Ranger Manager, Tel: 0131 464 4819, john.cadman@forestry.gsi.gov.uk
To request hard copy PQQ documents please contact Katie Barnsley, Forestry Commission, Dumfries & Borders Forest District, Ae Village, Parkgate, Dumfries DG1 1QB Tel: 01387 243025 katie.barnsley@forestry.gsi.gov.uk
Completed PQQ’s should be returned to the address below and marked ‘Deer Contract PQQ’:
Katie Barnsley
Forestry Commission
Dumfries & Borders Forest District
Ae Village
Parkgate
Dumfries
DG1 1QB
01387 243025
dumfries&borders@forestry.gsi.gov.uk

If you were successful in tendering for both so

£17,850.00
+£ 5,950.00
=£23,800.00
Then if you get all 5 years gives you

£23,800.00
=£119,000.00

As much as I'd like to apply I dont meet all the criteria for the tender.

If anyone on here does get this I'd be interested in any syndicate thats set up.

Seems quite a good oportunity up for grabs being paid 23 grand a year for shooting less than 1 deer a day.
For someone who lives close by you could work it round a full time job
John Cadman is a good drop him an email he will tell you straight what its like

Seems quite a good oportunity up for grabs being paid 23 grand a year for shooting less than 1 deer a day.
For someone who lives close by you could work it round a full time job
John Cadman is a good drop him an email he will tell you straight what its like

I would doubt this could be worked round a full time job, by the time you take fuel, ammo, vehicles of this you are not making much.

Like I said not much of a proposition, you will also need a quad or some form of extraction tool, otherwise you will be taking a long long time to get your deer out!!

1 deer a day, much depends where you drop your deer, could take you the best part of the day to retrieve it!!

I have recent emails from Kate Barnsley who has spoken to John Cadman (Wildlife Manager) which suggests that Recreational Stalking leases will be no longer available , What that statement means I am not sure.

It appears from the above they intend to tender the management of deer out as and when areas become available maybe to deer management groups ,but thats only a opinion on my part not whats been stated

This job is not suited to the faint hearted if you think it's about just shooting deer your in for a shock ,if your a self employed person you can claim everything back via your annual tax return this type of work is not suited to a weekend warrior ,or someone who like a family life ,you have to work at it .
It is if you do the work required better paid than most keepers in today's climate .

This job is not suited to the faint hearted if you think it's about just shooting deer your in for a shock ,if your a self employed person you can claim everything back via your annual tax return this type of work is not suited to a weekend warrior ,or someone who like a family life ,you have to work at it .
It is if you do the work required better paid than most keepers in today's climate .

Very true, been there, seen it , done it, got the real tree t shirt:cool:

basically Fc are doing away with direct employment at certain levels, they are looking for full time contractors, as said it is b*****y hard work and very few have the actual mind set to carry out the job effectively, but as with everything else hard work will get it's rewards.
If you go into it with a deer a day attitude, you will go bust in a month, it's about maximising time and opportunity and basically killing as many deer as possible in the most effective way and most importantly maintaining a high standard of work while you are at it. Not an easy thing to do

Last edited by a moderator:

Are you appling for it then Robert:rofl:

By the time you pay tax, fuel, vehicle running costs, bullets ect it isnt worth bothering about.

Crafty buggers arnt they, they have wiped out all financial liabilities in one stroke by employing contract individuals all will need to pick up there own costs like public liability ,fuel and other expenses all at there own cost and at a low cost and expense to the F.C

This appears to have been the result of the likes of DEFRA and the Government reducing costs as the existing field rangers have been redeployed doing other duties like creating nature trails and cycle paths so the public can enjoy access to the forest long gone are the wildlife rangers as such

Last edited:
Crafty buggers arnt they, they have wiped out all financial liabilities in one stroke by employing contract individuals all will need to pick up there own costs like public liability ,fuel and other expenses all at there own cost and at a low cost and expense to the F.C

This appears to have been the result of the likes of DEFRA and the Government reducing costs as the existing field rangers have been redeployed doing other duties like creating nature trails and cycle paths so the public can enjoy access to the forest long gone are the wildlife rangers as such

FC have been cutting down the wildlife ranger staff over the last few years, it's just too damm expensive !!!!

Another victim to public spending cuts

Very true, been there, seen it , done it, got the real tree t shirt:cool:

basically Fc are doing away with direct employment at certain levels, they are looking for full time contractors, as said it is b*****y hard work and very few have the actual mind set to carry out the job effectively, but as with everything else hard work will get it's rewards.
If you go into it with a deer a day attitude, you will go bust in a month, it's about maximising time and opportunity and basically killing as many deer as possible in the most effective way and most importantly maintaining a high standard of work while you are at it. Not an easy thing to do

Tell us more - sounds like hard work indeed. I am assuming that it would be a combination of lamping (without educating the deer) and morning recovery. How long would it take to cull all 210 deer?

Tell us more - sounds like hard work indeed. I am assuming that it would be a combination of lamping (without educating the deer) and morning recovery. How long would it take to cull all 210 deer?

As always it's site specific.

10 -15yrs back it was possible to be given ground where night shooting could produce 15 -20 animals at night, starting 8pm - 4am lamping shooting then back to the larder for 2-3hrs, the ground maybe a couple of hours away and the larder an hour from the wood. In other areas you may have to come back in daylight to exract. In the past we would be stalking through the day as well.[if you like sleep, don't do it]

We worked out that with deer densities of 12 deer per 100ha, a man working alone could average 7 deer a day himself[larder extraction etc]

Deer densities are on the whole a lot less now , but I would want to shoot at least 3 animals per outing or 6 a day , going on a 70-80 quid a beast rate.

With me I work a general rule of thumb , be on the ground as light appears and when it dis appears. This will often mean walking out to restocks or hotspots in the dark so as to get into place for an ambush, remember most FC deer are a bit wary :-|

Remember there will be blank days and in the winter past we had weeks where it was just not possible to get on to the ground with snow, in 99[I think, Ballindalloch can correct me as he was my neighbour, we certainly should have had shares in tetley that year] we had 6weeks of hard snow in the north east which meant we couldn't get on much of the ground, then 1 week after the snow F&M hit and we were stopped from going on any FC ground for another few weeks, if you ain't killing deer, your kids starve:drool:.
It ain't all bad though when you are filling the larder you are making money, in 93 i was getting 90 quid [your lucky to get that now]a beast and was shooting a lot of deer, fuel was a lot cheaper then [especially red stuff:evil:] and we were living in caravans in the wood and shooting 50-70 deer a week, I know we don't talk numbers here but to set the picture myself and a few others were in the 4 figures per anum for a few years [some still are]we made a good living and knackered the knees but good times.

If you are willing to put the hours in and walk the ground, you will get deer, night shooting is often required and anyone thinking it's an easy option should try dragging big stags of restocks in torch light.

Like all types of outdoor work, you will love it or hate it, a pal of mine stated in the scotland on sunday the other day that grouse beating was like S&M in tweed, well contract stalking is similar but in real tree [less itchy]

Back