binos

tony rentokil

I have got the chance of Hawke ed binos8x45 or 10s,they go for around £350 on ebay,these are new and £230.I would like to know if any one has a pair,or if you think,I should get some,bear in mind,I could never afford the best brands,Regards Tony.

The open hinge ED Hawke bins get some quite good reviews on the net, try searching on
The Optics Talk Forums
I came very close to buying a pair but held off for some reason, a few weeks later I found an old pair of Leica Trinovid's, which are everything I hoped they would be.
Finding a pair of Hawke ED's to look through should be easy enough, just pick a day with dull dodgy weather, after all that shouldn't be hard.

Neil. :)

I bought a pair of Hawke bins once. £100 reduced to £50..... Should have known better. Traded them in 6 weeks later for a pair of Nikons. Never bought anything Hawke ever since.

Get yourself some minox or steiner pros for similar money.

http://www.microglobe.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?pName=8x42-skyhawk-steiner-pro-binocular

It is better to be out stalking than sitting inside saving up, I shot more deer using Bushnell Trophy 8x42's than I do now with swarovskis.

Would say Hawke are shite though. Try the RSPB web-site they do sell decent binos for your money or contact glasgow binocular repair, the chap does good deals on new or used.

Get out there!

So Hawke are crap, Ok but who makes these bins ?
All Hawke do is put their name to something made by somebody else.
I have looked through the bins in question, (and many others that have been mentioned here) are they as good as my Leica's, nope, but they aren't horrible either.
If you really are on a budget these are not at all bad Optisan at Birdnet Optics

Neil. :)

Thanks guys I am really tempted to go for sportmans deal on the minox,although there are some on ebay from Germany,works out about £172 inc pp. Tone,

Opticron, porro prism, (Imagic waterproof about £150) very sharp & bright and compare very favourably to roof prisms costing 3 or 4 times as much. Obviously, you get more when you pay more but I've even handed my 7x42's (more than once) to guys with some very expensive 10x glass (i.e. £750 and upwards), when the light's going, and they are amazed at the improved view. I dream of Leicas though, such fantastic clarity.

Thank you all for the great info,before I go any give my money to a shop/dealer etc.
I thought I would just ask if any one on this site has a second pair,they might want to sell,Tone,,

Back