Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swedish Roe season

Swedish Roe season

Our Roe buck season starts today. so at 19.00 i went out armed with my combi and sat in one of my high seats. I thought that it was not the best evening for it as it is windy, cloudy and warm. after about 30 mins i saw a buck about 130 yards away. so i set the trigger on the combi and shot the buck.
    I saw this buck in May in the field at the back of the house.
    As i was putting the combi on my shoulder i turned round and there was a 12 pointer moose in velvet, standing looking at me from about 50 mtrs.

Are you sure that first picture is a Swedish Roe and not a Kangaroo ???

Good start to the season then Alan
    and good one to take
    even better seeing the moose , I wonder if that will hang about long enough for you to get a chance of that too
    ATB

Hej Rich, Its nice to see a big bull moose. They cover a large area so he could be miles away by October. The bull moose have not always been well managed in the past but for a good few years now there has been a shooting plan in place to improve the more mature bulls.
    I took the dogs out for there walk this afternoon and saw a cow with 2 calves. The moose population is on the increase again in this area.

Well done Jagare, a good start to the season.
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here

Regular Poster
    Jagare, i travel from skavsda airport to Gavle several times a year, to my son in laws home, and see an awful lot of roe,fallow, boar and some moose during the traveling, there are a lot of good quality wildlife to be seen in Sweden.
    Well done on your starting buck!.

Dry Powder.

Barry

Hej Barry, I used to work my spaniel on an estate that is right next to Skavsta airport. As you say its alive with game there. Sadly the gamekeeper moved back to Denmark and they no longer have pheasants there.
    The beaters day was driven hoofed game in the morning and pheasants after lunch. Happy days.

I also travel via skavsta, will be there from 10th sept onwards, will be travelling on to jamtland, as said some pretty amazing sights when your travelling around, game everywhere, puts a different slant on things when the traffic is stopped to allow a moose hunt to proceed, its the only country that I have been too, that allows the hunters to line out along the highway to shoot from stands, great country , shall be looking to buy a house out there when I am over there, with a long term plan to live out there permantly.
    happy days.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagare View Post
    Our Roe buck season starts today. so at 19.00 i went out armed with my combi and sat in one of my high seats. I thought that it was not the best evening for it as it is windy, cloudy and warm. after about 30 mins i saw a buck about 130 yards away. so i set the trigger on the combi and shot the buck.
    I saw this buck in May in the field at the back of the house.
    As i was putting the combi on my shoulder i turned round and there was a 12 pointer moose in velvet, standing looking at me from about 50 mtrs.
    I used to to Sweden (southern) every year for the opening of the roe buck season . They were magical times ,getting up at 0400, sitting in a high seat waiting for the sun to rise . Then listening for the first shot of the season . Had they shot a fox,roebuck or wildboar ? On the opening morning one year i counted 21 shots fired . Yes there is plenty of game in Sweden.

Good Hunting Chill
    Last edited by chill123; 17-08-2010 at 15:27.

Hi Jagare,

I had a call last night from Marcus (my mate that moved to Sweden) he has settled in now and has even got some ground to stalk and release some pheasants on. he had been out for 2 hours and spotted a nice buck but didn't get a shot. He sent me pictures of Moose in his neigbours garden a few weeks ago.
    I hope that your season continues to be so bountifull.

Regards, Ezzy