7mm shehane or 7mm 08

Tayfix

Do any of you guys use either of these?
Would love to know you thoughts and why you think which one is better? Is the 08 the best for hunting and the shehane best for long range?
Tayfix.

tayfix
i have a 7mm08 rem it is very accurate and can get 2890 with 139 sst i would not change it for another 7mm but thats only my veiw it does what it says on the tin i have no experience with 284 shehane so cant give an opinion on it
regards
colin

All I can add is that a bog standard 7-08 Rem round in my tarted up Sako, gives 2895fps with a 140 Gn NBT or Accubond over 40.5 Gns RL15 to the same point of aim, .3MOA if that is of any interest, and it kills any UK game that I have encountered DRT AT 'Normal' hunting ranges. What else does one need?... maybe something more exotic at extended ranges on paper targets but for UK live quarry, it does the job exceedingly well!

Best

Peter

Do any of you guys use either of these?
Would love to know you thoughts and why you think which one is better? Is the 08 the best for hunting and the shehane best for long range?
Tayfix.

The answer to your question is probably Yes, because (in my, and many other people's, opinion) the .284 Shehane tends to make too much velocity for game, even with heavy for calibre bullets. Doubtless, I'll now be told there's no such phenomenon.

My question is: How much gun can you utilize effectively? Shooting past 600M is a study in itself. If you don't plan on going there why bother?

7mm-08 gets my nod. A fine cartridge.~Muir

7/08 is more than good enough for any UK stalking. I would only go with one of the 284 based exotics if I planned to seriously compete at long (ie 600m plus) range, and that is a completely different ballgame.

Thanks for your replys, I suppose I knew the answers to what I was asking. It might be all in vain for me as I may have to stick with what I already have but the 08 really seems like a good hunting caliber.
Colin or Peter please can you tell me how the recoil is compaired to other calibers I.e say a .243 and a .270? Can you still keep your scope on the kill and watch the deer drop?

Something that also needs consideration is that most .284 Shehane reamers in the UK are throated specifically for 180g VLD's, (I know mine and a couple of others who use this in competition is)

So you would end up seating the bullet a long way out of the neck if you use 140's say..

The 7mm-08 is sweet to shoot although in a light rifle, you may not retain sight picture, this also depends on how powerful your scope is too of course and the firld of view you have......

Thanks for your replys, I suppose I knew the answers to what I was asking. It might be all in vain for me as I may have to stick with what I already have but the 08 really seems like a good hunting caliber.
Colin or Peter please can you tell me how the recoil is compaired to other calibers I.e say a .243 and a .270? Can you still keep your scope on the kill and watch the deer drop?

Recoil is a subjective and individual perception,,, That's MHO anyway, but in answer to your question and this is a purely personal perception remember. I had a .243 for years, using mainly 85 Gn HPBT Gamekings and that was gentle enough, the 7-08 is launching a bullet some 75% heavier and Mr Newtons Law applies to give more recoil just from the bullet weight alone. Having said that, it is noticeable less 'barky' than a .308 with the equivalent load. Another part of the recoil equation is the mass of the rifle itself. My 7-08 has a heavier barrel and a McSwirly stock, so it isn't the lightest Sako in the woods either, and that reduces recoil also.

With a moderator on it I can see the bullet strike if the light is good enough, and certainly watch the drop. Unmoderated, no.

A .270.... sorry to all those enthusiasts on here, but I just don't like it, again it is a personal perception, and mine is that it is OK to shoot at deer, but zeroing it at the Range is unpleasant, therefore I wouldn't want to do much load development with one,which means that I wouldn't have sufficient confidence in the round to use it on deer.

Hence I use a 7-08 or soon a 275 Rigby.

Maybe a .260? ..... lovely round, again personal opinion, but its what the .243 should have been all along. :) :)

ATB

P

I have a light weight combination gun in 7x65r shootin 139g sst bullet at c2700 fpswith 6 power scope and no moderator. Can see impact through scope quite clearly. 7mm 08 looks a very good calibre and can shoot just about anything you want. Don't discount the 7x64, particularly if you want to shoot bigger plains game / boar as they have case capacity to push a bigger 177 gn bullet and such loads are (certainly on the coninent) available.

please can you tell me how the recoil is compaired to other calibers I.e say a .243 and a .270? Can you still keep your scope on the kill and watch the deer drop?

I own a 7mm.08 rem 700

my wife uses it! ,its very low on recoil! compareable to her 20 bore sa shotgun(her words)

she shot a real nice black bear with it ,which weighed about 250 pounds!

check out the thread MY WIFES BLACK BEAR in the big game section! for the picture!

we load 140gr nps for most of our hunting and 120gr nos bal tips for wolf and predators

the 7.08 is good for game up to moose no problem!

my rifle is a rem 700 not yet moderatored 6.5lbs more recoil than 243 but not a monster yes you can see strikes

Hi
7mm-08 is a great round. Perfect for anything in the UK and sweet to shoot. I used mine for years until i swapped to a 30-06 for a planned trip to Africa. 45gn ACC 4350 behind a 139gn Hornady BTSP - great medicine and little carcase damage. Wish I never sold it :(

Cheers
OT

Back